Can someone recommend a easy english book for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nichlas1994

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Montenegro
Hello, I am 22 years old Norwegian. I trying to improve my English, but I feel a bit lost. I can understand much more than I am capable to speak, but I can take a part in a conversation, but it is just basic I think. I have watched a lot of US movies and TV shows, and that’s maybe why my listening skills are much better compare to my speaking skills.

Today I was starting to read a book named “THE GIVER”, but I gave up after 5 pages. The book is using many different words, and I tried to look up every word I didn’t understand, but it was so exhausting. I do understand the meaning of the phrases, but If I shall grow my vocabulary I need to understand new words. If not, it is not a point to read I think, or I am wrong? I usually do not like to read in my own language, so it is very hard to concentrate when I don’t understand many English words. I like genre as real stories and romance. I think the best way to start reading in English is to begin with something easy stuff, and grow it bigger after a while. Do some of you know any real-life stories or romance where the language are easy to understand. I think my English level is between beginner to intermediate, so if anybody knows good books in that level, I would be very happy to know.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I am a 22-year-old Norwegian. I am trying to improve my English, but I feel a bit lost. I can understand much [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] better than I [STRIKE]am capable to[/STRIKE] can speak. [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] I can take a part in a basic conversation. [STRIKE]but it is just basic I think.[/STRIKE] I have watched a lot of US movies and TV shows, and that’s maybe why my listening skills are much better [STRIKE]compare to[/STRIKE] than my speaking skills.

Today, I [STRIKE]was starting[/STRIKE] started to read a book named “THE GIVER”, but I gave up after 5 pages. The book [STRIKE]is using[/STRIKE] uses many different words, and I tried to look up every word I didn’t understand (no comma here) but it was [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] exhausting. I do understand the meaning of the phrases, but [STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] if I [STRIKE]shall[/STRIKE] want to grow my vocabulary, I need to understand new words. If not, [STRIKE]it is not a point to read I think[/STRIKE] there is no point in reading, or I am wrong? I usually do not like to read in my own language, so it is very hard to concentrate when I don’t understand many English words. I like [STRIKE]genre as[/STRIKE] real stories and romance. I think the best way to start reading in English is to begin with something easy [STRIKE]stuff[/STRIKE], and [STRIKE]grow it bigger[/STRIKE] move on to more complicated texts after a while. Do [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] any of you know any real-life stories or romances [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] in which the language [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is easy to understand. I think my English level is between beginner [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and intermediate, so if anybody knows good books in that level, I would be very happy to know.

Note my corrections above.

In a previous thread, I suggested that you think of a book you have already read in Norwegian and then find an English translation of it. If you do that, you will already know the basic story and you wont' have to try to work everything out from scratch. Did you try that? I know you said in this post that you "usually don't like to read in my own language" but surely you have read something. If you don't read, how do you know that romance and real-life stories are your favourites?

Nichlas1994

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Montenegro
Thanks for fixing my errors.

Yeah, I have read some books, but just a few (without school books). I think the only book I have read, who is translate to English is the book “headhunters”, and I have read this book twice (in my own language) and watched the movie many times. Do you think it is a more effective way to improve English, when I already know the story? I mean, I will anyway don’t understand a lot of words. If I need to look up every word I don’t understand, I think I will use a month to complete the book. Is it necessary to look up every word, or should I just look up word, when I don’t understand the phrase?

Finally: When I need to look up a word, do you recommend to use an English dictionary, or an English-Norwegian translator? If you recommend an English dictionary, I will be happy to know the name of it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for fixing my errors.

[STRIKE]Yeah[/STRIKE]Yes, I have read some books (no comma needed here) but just a few ([STRIKE]without[/STRIKE] other than school books). I think the only book I have read, [STRIKE]who is transferred to[/STRIKE] which has been translated into English, is the book “Headhunters”. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] I have read this book twice (in my own language) and watched the movie many times. Do you think it is a more effective way to improve my English, when I already know the story? I mean (no comma needed here) I [STRIKE]will anyway don’t[/STRIKE] still won't understand a lot of words. If I need to look up every word I don’t understand, I think [STRIKE]I will use[/STRIKE] it will take me a month to complete the book. Is it necessary to look up every word, or should I just look up words when I don’t understand the phrase?

You definitely do not need to look up every word. Read a few sentences at a time and, as long as you are fairly sure you have understood the general meaning, move on to the next few sentences. It is amazing how much vocabulary and grammar you can pick up as you go along. If you try to look up every word and memorise the definition, not only will it take you a very long time to read a book but it will also be a waste of your time. Vocabulary is far better learnt in context.

I think it would be a very good idea to read the English translation of "Headhunters".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try books aimed for younger readers of English- children's books tend to use a more restricted vocabulary and often repeat it, which is how native speakers learn.

BobGerr

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Reading a book in the language you are learning on an e-reader can really help with the need to look up words. When I read a book on my e-reader I can simply tap the word and the definition comes up for me (in my target language). I can also scroll over and see the definition in my native language.

Regardless of this, as mentioned above, you shouldn't try to look up every word when reading, but rather choose a book that is slightly above your current level.

Status
Not open for further replies.