• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

What does it mean although and though

Hello, I have read one children book today from Roald Dahl, and I am going to read all his adventures before I start with another book, but in his book, he uses “though and although” many times and I don’t understand what these words mean, and it is very confusing. Can someone explain what “although and though” means. I have been searched in YouTube, forum pages and looked it up in an English dictionary, but I still don’t understand what it means.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

Re: What does it mean although and though

The phrase is “They all looked forward to Sundays because then, although they had exactly the same, everyone was allowed a second helping”

Could it mean “They all looked forward to Sundays because then, even if they had exactly the same, everyone was allowed a second helping”

I still not sure about the meanings, I just watched and another YouTube movie, and I guessing, so I would apricate if someone can explain it easy and clear to me.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Yes, I know that, but I don’t understand it, as I told. I want someone to explain it with other words (if it possible).

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You might expect these people to be happy for Sunday to come because they get a special meal. But that is not the case. The food on Sunday is the exact same food as every other day.

Since the food is exactly the same on Sunday, you might expect that there would be no special happiness to be had on Sunday. People would not look forward to it, because it is like every other day.

But that is not the case.

They get a second helping of food on Sunday. So it is special. It is a day of happiness. There is a reason to look forward to Sunday.

In spite of the fact that the food is exactly the same as all other days, they look forward to Sunday because they are allowed a second helping of food.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Norwegian
      • Home Country:
      • Norway
      • Current Location:
      • Norway

Thank you. Could you or someone else explain how “although and though” means, I have clue how it works now, but I am not sure enough to be able to use this words in conversation. Maybe I don’t understand yet how it works neither. I think this words are very difficult to understand, because the words have another meaning, when it uses in the beginning of the phrase, in the middle, and in the end (I know I can not use an although in the end). Perhaps somebody knows a very good movie?

I apricate all your answers, and I think (at least I hope) my English will grow to a next level, if I keep continue with speaking, writing, reading and watching movies. I have searched around for an English course in abroad (UK and USA), but they are far too expensive for me. However, I found a English course where I am in a “classroom” with others learners. The course cost 99 dollars for a year, so I was wondering, is this course worth the money? In April I, will try to improve my English mark. My goal is to get 3 in writing and 4 in speaking (maybe you use letters. 3= between C and D and 4 = between B and C), and my future goal is to be able to speak it fluently.