Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Smile "Once having been criticized for the extremely strong decision, he said..."

Hello,

I need help because I don't know if this sentence is correct. It's not my sentence and there's a possibility that it may not be correct.

"Once having been criticized for the extremely strong decision, Principal Maybon said he wouldn't change his mind."

1) Can you explain what this sentence means in different words? Is "once" the adverb form or the conjunction form?

I think it might mean:

a) Principal Maybon was at a time in the past was criticized, but he was no longer criticized when he said he wouldn't change his mind.
    b) After he was criticized, he said he wouldn't change his mind. He was still criticized when he said that.

2) Doesn't conjunction form of once always take a sentence instead of a participle or a noun with it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dodeca; 11-Jan-2017 at 01:28.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "Once having been criticized for the extremely strong decision, he said..."

The second clause is clear: the principal declined to reverse a decision. The first doesn't mean much without more context.

Please mark text you're discussing by setting it in italics or surrounding it with quotation marks.
    I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

He was criticized one time or perhaps more than one time. Despite that criticism, he refused to change his mind.

I don't know what is meant by "strong decision".

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"Even though Principal Maybon was criticized for his harsh decision, he refused to change his mind."

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Raymott is right that "harsh decision" is more natural than "strong decision" but since I don't know what that decision was, I can't be certain that it was indeed a harsh decision.

Another way to say he refused to change his mind:

He stood his ground.