• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Question About the Dracula book

Hi there!

I have a question. I currently reading a book which name is Dracula. And I have a hard time reading this book.Therefore I was uploaded this book but only chapter one.

Link: http://s3.dosya.tc/server10/9s0j6w/Dracula.pdf.html

I think this book very difficult or this book wrong writing. Because when I looked that link:http://www.bramstoker.org/pdf/novels/05dracula.pdf , as if it were easier.

The question is what is this book level? Or is this book wrong writing ? There are too many word in this book. And I think most of them is not necessary. What is your opinion? Please help me. Thank you for reading my thread

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: About the Dracula book

Most people won't download files from external sites for security reasons. There are hundreds of Dracula books. Bram Stoker started things off. Read the one you're most comfortable with. I enjoyed the Bram Stoker book.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by sirjoe View Post
    Hi there!

I have a question. I am currently reading a book which name is called "Dracula". And I have am having a hard time reading this book (no full stop here) Therefore so I was uploaded the first chapter of this book. but only chapter one.

Link: http://s3.dosya.tc/server10/9s0j6w/Dracula.pdf.html

I think this book is very difficult or this book wrong writing or is badly/incorrectly written. This is because when I looked at that this link:http://www.bramstoker.org/pdf/novels/05dracula.pdf , as if it were seemed easier.

The My question is: what is the level of this book? level? Or Is this book wrong writing it badly written? There are too many words in this book (no full stop here) and I think most of them is are not necessary. What is your opinion? Please help me. Thank you for reading my thread.
    As Tdol said, many people here won't be prepared to click on your links, partly due to security reasons and partly because of copyright issues. We don't know if the links go to legal copies/downloads of the books. I won't click on them. If you find any book too difficult, you are reading a book above your level. Find a different book - one that you don't struggle too much with but which teaches you new vocabulary and grammar as you go along.

Please see my corrections to your post above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Okay then i will write you a paragraph;

Chapter I
    Jonathan Harker’s diary
    (it is writen in Shortland)
    3 May, Bistritz. I left Vienna yesterday morning, and I had time to see a little of Budapest this afternook between trains. I stopped fort he night at the Hotel Royale in Klausenburgh, and after meal, I studied a map of Transylvania. Count Dracula’s castle is in the hearth of the Carpathian Mountains, which is one of the wildest and least known parts of Europe.
    All day in the train today the countryside became more beautiful the further east I came, and the people’s clothes and the buildings grew stranger. I didn’t feel like I was in Europe any longer.
    It was getting dark when I arrived in Bistritz, and interesting old place. Count Dracula told me to g oto the Golden Krone Hotel where the owner, a very friendly lady, brought me a letter:
    “ Dear my friend,
    I’ve booked a seat for you on the public carriage to Bukovina. That leaves at three o’clock tomorrow morning. And my carriage will be waiting for you at the Borgo pass. Welcome to my wonderful land.
    Your friend,
    Dracula ”
    When I asked the owner if she knew Count Dracula, she made the sign of the cross and said she did not know anything.
    4 May, early morning. While ı was getting ready, the owner came to my room. ‘Sir!’ she said, seizing my arm, ‘please don’t go!’ I said ı had to go.’No, Sir! Please!’ she shouted, tears in her eyes. I said to her that I had important business at Castle Dracula. ‘He does not know what is going to happen!’ she wishpered to herself, looking very scared. She took the cross which she wore around her neck, and put it around mine. I am wearing it now while I sit waiting waiting for he carriage to leave. The lady’s weird fear has made me feel uncomfortable.
    5 May, the castle. The sun is already high over the mountains, yet I am not sleepy, so ı will write until I am. I have a few odd thing to write down.

Would you say to me that the paragraph above is correct or incorrect ?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 12-Jan-2017 at 22:53. Reason: Removed quote box

5. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

It contains many spelling and other mistakes. We can't tell whether they are yours or the author's.

Assuming they are yours, the passage is otherwise fairly well written for its genre, with no particularly unusual words or idioms.

6. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Yes this book's editor is turkish. If is this so wrong, should I continue this book? Do I learn English wrong?
    Last edited by sirjoe; 13-Jan-2017 at 00:37. Reason: edited

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would suggest not reading it for purposes of learning English grammar.

It may be a little confusing even just to read for pleasure, because it has some vocabulary errors as well. For example "in the hearth of the Carpathian Mountains' should be 'in the heart'. The run-on sentences and fragments make it distracting for me as well.

You can find condensed versions of many novels which have been slightly re-written and reduced to make them easier for lower-level readers. They keep the essence of the original story, but have been simplified to various extents. These are known as 'graded readers'.

You can also do a search for "graded readers", to find various books by grade level. If you're looking for a specific book, include the book name when you search for "graded readers".

For example, here's some results for "graded readers Dracula Bram Stoker". Some you'll have to pay for while others, such as Dracula, are old enough to be in the public domain.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

8. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Thank you but this book is already pre-intermedate.

9. Newbie
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

The original Dracula is in the public domain, but I would not recommend reading it to learn english as the sentence structure can tend to be archaic and/or wordy.

You are better off purchasing a more recent novel that uses more common English phrasing. A book like, "The Martian" by Andy Weir is a good example of storytelling that is very current, and good for the English language learner. It contains many passages told from a first person perspective by the main character, which are excellent for perfecting English phrasing.

**Note: The book, "The Martian" does contain swearing.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Yes, this book's editor is Turkish. If ​this is this so wrong, should I continue with this book? Do Am I learning poor/incorrect English? wrong?
    Thank you but this book is already pre-intermediate.
    Note my corrections above.

If you are finding a pre-intermediate book too difficult for you, you need to find a book that is aimed at a lower level.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.