• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I can't find the answer for a paragraph question

Hello,

I'm sorry this is a little bit long. It's normally a paragraph, but I'll cut it short. I gave the entire paragraph instead.

The relevant sentences of the whole paragraph:

"What happened in Darveshpura is exciting for development experts. The main reason for the increased crops is due to a simple planting method called System of Root Intensification (SRI), which has dramatically increased crops of wheat, potatoes, tomatoes, and other plants. For rice, instead of planting three-week-old rice plants together in groups of three or four, as most rice farmers around the world do, the Darveshpura farmers raise only half as many seeds and then transplant rice plants into fields when they are much younger. Additionally, they space single plants at 25cm intervals in a grid pattern, keep the soil much drier, and carefully work the soil around the plants to allow air to reach the roots. The concept that 'less is more' has been introduced to hundreds of villages in India in the past three years."

The question: Which of the following statements is FALSE about the System of Root Intensification (SRI) planting method discussed in paragraph III?

The answer is D.

A) "By only changing the planting technique, this method leads to significantly improved crops for many plants."

As far as I know, the main reason means it's not the only reason. So, the improved crops didn't occur only as a result of changing the planting technique.

D) "While planting rice, the soil around the plants is disturbed as little as possible to protect the plant roots."

The aim is not to protect, right? It's just to allow air to reach the roots. So, I understand this, but I can't eliminate the option A.

Why is option A not false? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dodeca; 14-Jan-2017 at 08:36.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I can't find the answer for a paragraph question

No. Say:

The main reason for the increased yield....

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Is this a multiple choice question on some kind of exam? Why are choices B and C omitted? Do you know the difference between yield and quality?

Key Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

You need to provide all of the context in order to get an intelligent answer. The full passage please, with no ellipses.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    You need to provide all of the context in order to get an intelligent answer. The full passage please, with no ellipses.

I provided the whole paragraph instead. Thanks for telling me that. I thought it would be too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Is this a multiple choice question on some kind of exam? Why are choices B and C omitted? Do you know the difference between yield and quality?
    Yes. This is a question from a multiple choice exam. I've found the relevant parts for the choices B and C. I think I know the difference between them. Why did you ask?

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

It's not black and white. It's a not good question.
    A could be false, but D is more likely to be false. There is a distinct difference between leaving the roots alone and poking around them to aerate the soil. The soil around the plants is not disturbed as little as possible, so D is false. Since D is false, that makes A not false.

There's a difference between "the main difference" being SRI, and the only difference being SRI. You need to look for clues like that.

7. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It's not black and white. It's a not good question.
    A could be false, but D is more likely to be false. There is a distinct difference between leaving the roots alone and poking around them to aerate the soil. The soil around the plants is not disturbed as little as possible, so D is false. Since D is false, that makes A not false.

There's a difference between "the main difference" being SRI, and the only difference being SRI. You need to look for clues like that.
    I'm sorry but I couldn't understand why A is not false. "By only changing the planting technique" in option A means that they only change the technique and nothing else. But in the paragraph it says "the main reason for the increased crops is due to a simple planting method called SRI..." If it's the main reason for it, there must be additional things that were done, but SRI was the most important. What do I miss here?

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Apparently, the mistake was made by the test maker. With improved methods you get increased yield, NOT increased crops. (As far as I know, there is no such thing as increased crops.)

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
    I'm sorry but I couldn't understand why A is not false. "By only changing the planting technique" in option A means that they only change the technique and nothing else. But in the paragraph it says "the main reason for the increased crops is due to a simple planting method called SRI..." If it's the main reason for it, there must be additional things that were done, but SRI was the most important. What do I miss here?
    That what I said. You can only choose one answer, and as it's written (badly), D is almost certainly false, and A is only possibly false. Therefore the answer is D. A large part of answering these multiple choice questions is realising that the testers are only human, and therefore prone to occasional incompetence.
    Who set the question, and what is their level of English?

10. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That what I said. You can only choose one answer, and as it's written (badly), D is almost certainly false, and A is only possibly false. Therefore the answer is D. A large part of answering these multiple choice questions is realising that the testers are only human, and therefore prone to occasional incompetence.
    Who set the question, and what is their level of English?

I'd choose D if I were in the exam, but I'm just trying to understand why others don't work or if they've made a mistake.

What I meant was that I think option A is certainly false, not possibly false. I can't see it being only possibly false. To me, being the only reason is false in the paragraph because the paragraph says that there are additional reason(s) for the increased crops (yield). That's why I think there are two false statements: A and D. You said "Since D is false, that makes A not false." But I think they're both false. Please, if you have time, clarify to me why A is not certainly false, but only possibly false as I couldn't understand from your previous reply.

This paragraph and the question are from an exam that students have to take in order to pass or skip the English Preparatory School of a university in Istanbul, Turkey. However, the expected level for passing the exam isn't that high because most classes aren't in English. There must be foreign teachers checking these exams, but still, they have mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last