Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can you please correct the below notice so it is more natural? Thank you.:-D

A scaffolding work will be erected at eternal wall temporarily for maintenance. For the lower level affected households, please don't hang any articles outside at the laundry rack during the stated period.

Tenants of flats 19 are also advised to look up the windows of both the kitchen and washroom to avoid any burglary happening at the aforesaid period.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A temporary scaffolding [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] will be erected at the external-wall site [STRIKE]temporarily[/STRIKE] for maintenance. [STRIKE]For[/STRIKE] If you live in the lower-level affected flats, [STRIKE]households,[/STRIKE] please don't hang any articles outside [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] on the laundry rack during the stated [It's not mentioned here; have you stated it elsewhere?] period.

Tenants of flats 19 are also advised to [STRIKE]look up[/STRIKE] keep both their [STRIKE]windows of both[/STRIKE] the kitchen and washroom windows closed for security reasons [STRIKE]to avoid any burglary happening at the aforesaid[/STRIKE] during the maintenance period.

I don't understand the text I highlighted in blue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, the definite article wouldn't be necessary at the start. "Temporary scaffolding will be erected ..." is fine.
I think you need to be clearer on which flats can't hang their laundry out. What constitutes the "lower-level flats"?
Like teechar, I have no idea what "flats 19" can mean. There is normally only one flat numbered 19 in any block.

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
However about the below notice? Actually I think it is quite well-written, but is there any room for improvement?

Since our issue of notice to you on 19.01.2017 enquiring whether you will opt for a new laundry rack, we have not yet received your reply. Please be reminded that if we do not receive your reply on or before xxx, we shall assume your opt not to install a laundry rack. In that case, we shall arrange to seal up and remove the pole holders at your flat in due course. Nevertheless, you may submit new application for a laundry rack with justified reason if there is a genuine need in future. Also, access inside flats to execute laundry rack installation works is required; tenants need to stay at home and provide access for the work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
However about the below notice? Actually I think it is quite well-written, but is there any room for improvement?

Since our issue of notice to you on 19.01.2017 enquiring whether you will opt for a new laundry rack, we have not yet received your reply.
On 19/1/17, we asked if you wanted a new laundry rack but we have not received a reply.

Please be reminded that if we do not receive your reply on or before xxx, we shall assume your opt not to install a laundry rack. In that case, we shall arrange to seal up and remove the pole holders at your flat in due course.
If we do not receive your reply by [date], we will assume you do not want one and will arrange for the removal of the pole holders.

Nevertheless, you may submit new application for a laundry rack with justified reason if there is a genuine need in future.
You are permitted to submit an application for a new laundry rack in future if necessary.

Also, access inside flats to execute laundry rack installation works is required; tenants need to stay at home and provide access for the work.
Access to flats is required for the laundry rack installation so please ensure you are at home to give the installers access.

See my suggestions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.