• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Cool time draws out like a blade

I've been trying to find out an explanation of "time draws out like a blade---from Shawshank redemption " only to get some vague answers .Could you please tell me what it means exactly? I tried to find a logical one myself as---"for those inmates,they are indeed in a very tough time ,so time draws out like a blade as it goes by".Hope I am right! thank you.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: time draws out like a blade

I assume Stephen King was trying to make the reader imagine the way that a long blade (like a sword) can be slowly drawn out of its sheath. If drawn out slowly, allowing the viewer to gradually see the glinting, sharp blade, it can be quite menacing and, if you're someone likely to be attacked by that blade, it probably feels as if time has slowed right down. That's how slowly time goes by for those prisoners.

That's my guess.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thumbs up Re: time draws out like a blade

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I assume Stephen King was trying to make the reader imagine the way that a long blade (like a sword) can be slowly drawn out of its sheath. If drawn out slowly, allowing the viewer to gradually see the glinting, sharp blade, it can be quite menacing and, if you're someone likely to be attacked by that blade, it probably feels as if time has slowed right down. That's how slowly time goes by for those prisoners.

That's my guess.
    ---Thank you very much.Glad that we have common ground at this!