Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I've been trying to find out an explanation of "time draws out like a blade---from Shawshank redemption " only to get some vague answers .Could you please tell me what it means exactly? I tried to find a logical one myself as---"for those inmates,they are indeed in a very tough time ,so time draws out like a blade as it goes by".Hope I am right! thank you.:oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assume Stephen King was trying to make the reader imagine the way that a long blade (like a sword) can be slowly drawn out of its sheath. If drawn out slowly, allowing the viewer to gradually see the glinting, sharp blade, it can be quite menacing and, if you're someone likely to be attacked by that blade, it probably feels as if time has slowed right down. That's how slowly time goes by for those prisoners.

That's my guess.

HERMES48369

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I assume Stephen King was trying to make the reader imagine the way that a long blade (like a sword) can be slowly drawn out of its sheath. If drawn out slowly, allowing the viewer to gradually see the glinting, sharp blade, it can be quite menacing and, if you're someone likely to be attacked by that blade, it probably feels as if time has slowed right down. That's how slowly time goes by for those prisoners.

That's my guess.
---Thank you very much.Glad that we have common ground at this!

Status
Not open for further replies.