Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please can someone check the part of speech of the sentence given below...
"He has hardly any chance of succeeding"
He = pn; has = verb; hardly =adv' any = adj or det (doubt); chance = noun; of = prep; succeeding = adj or noun (doubt)

Have highlighted the ones which I am not sure about. Would appreciate if someone can describe the rules to decide the correct ones.

thanks and regards
sneela

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please can someone check the parts of speech of the sentence given below.

"He has hardly any chance of succeeding."
He = pn; has = verb; hardly =adv' any = adj or det (doubt); chance = noun; of = prep; succeeding = adj or noun (doubt)

I have highlighted the ones which I am not sure about. I would appreciate it if someone [strike]can[/strike] ​could [STRIKE]describe[/STRIKE] explain the rules to help me decide on the correct ones.

Thanks and regards.
sneela

[STRIKE]not a teacher or a native speaker[/STRIKE] This is not necessary unless you are answering someone else's question.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. It's important to use full sentences and correct punctuation on the forum. I'm going to leave it to a parsing expert to answer your question.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Sneela:

In my opinion, you have done a great job of parsing. Congratulations!

1. If you follow the traditional 8 parts of speech, then "any" would, indeed, be an adjective. Newer textbooks, however, prefer the term "determiner."

2. As you already know, a preposition (like "of") is followed by a noun or pronoun.

a. "of succeeding" = preposition + gerund.

i. You probably remember your teacher telling you that a gerund is an -ing word that is used as a noun. For example: "Succeeding in life often depends on good luck." In that sentence "succeeding" is a gerund and is part of the complete subject "Succeeding in life."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.