[General] Help with writing a short story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itosan4

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Australia
Hello, I'm having troubles writing a short story. I only get 15 minutes and I'm expected to write between one to two pages. The main problems I have are I'm dragging it out too long or I'm rushing it, I've tried practicing under the time constraint but my stories are so bad that I can't even finish it especially my introduction and climax parts. Can you give me tips and help, especially in thinking of a problem that's the protagonist faces. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

BobGerr

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You should be the one who choses the problem that the protagonist faces, as this choice will help fuel your creativity. If I suggest an idea, it will be about something I'm familiar with, not something with which you are familiar.

When you are just beginning to write, writing is almost always about writing what you know. This is what allows it to come easily. If you choose an experience you had in the past, then modify it to be more entertaining and to match your protagonist's character or life, you will have an easier time writing.

When I taught story writing I always encouraged my students to think of the worst thing they ever did as a kid, then modify that experience enough to be unrecognizable, and then give the experience to their main character.

ie: I had a student who wrote a great short story about a protagonist saving people from a burning building which was based on their own experience of almost burning down their parent's garage.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
@itosan4: You have posted this same question multiple times. This does not help your cause. Please do not do that again!

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.