Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
This is a motivational letter for a study abroad program, can you check it? I did my best.
Thank you in advance

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name’s (name), I’m currently studying (faculty) at (my university). I’m extremely glad to have the opportunity of being part of the Erasmus program, thanks to my university and EU. Building an international career is very important for my field of studies since I’m planning to work as a filmaker.
With this letter I would like to express my interest in studying at (University) which I think is the right choice to fulfill my dreams.

A “Plural artist”, as we call it at (my university), is what i need to craft for myself and there’s no better way than living different cultures to reach this target. Ironically, in (my country), film studies are not considered as well as others university faculties and that's why they're accessible only through Art Academies. I have chosen to apply for (University) beacuse of its really interesting undergraduate film courses which will surely enrich my future works. Developing an excellent knowledge of cinema story and techniques is what I aim for and outstanding ratings of this university would surely lead to an improvement of my skills.

I’m also convinced that your programme will benefit a lot from my precence, I work on numerous softwares since I was a child and have a quite large knowledge of cinema language I’m ready to share with other students.
During the shooting of different shorts I've learned how to work in a team giving the best for every role I covered: Directing, Editing, Light and sound. However thanks to science studies in high school I can reach good performace alone through hard work. I also like to get involved in contest to test my skills and understand what to improve. I’m looking forward to being part of this awesome journey called Erasmus.

I would love to spend a semester in (city) because this would give me the chance to get in touch with British culture and deepen my knowledge of Art. Moreover I could definitely improve my English and raise the possibilities of passing the TOEFL and IELTS examination when I'll be back.

Thank you very much for consdering my request.

Your faithfully,
(name)

Last edited:

Dagozar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, click on Edit Post and capitalise the word "I" every time it appears.

Thank you! I think it's ok now

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you! I think it's okay/OK now.

See above. You can write "OK" or "okay" but not "ok". Remember to end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark.

Dagozar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
See above. You can write "OK" or "okay" but not "ok". Remember to end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark.

Great! Thank you, but how about the letter, is it okay like this? Was "I" the only mistake?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a motivational letter for a study abroad program. Can you check it? I did my best.
Thank you in advance.

Dear Sir or Madam,

My [STRIKE]name’s[/STRIKE] name is (name) ​and [STRIKE]I’m[/STRIKE] I am currently studying ([STRIKE]faculty[/STRIKE] name of subject) at ([STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] name of university). I’m extremely glad to have the opportunity [STRIKE]of being[/STRIKE] to be part of the Erasmus program, thanks to my university and the EU. Building an international career is very important for my field of studies since I’m planning to work as a filmmaker.
[STRIKE]With this letter[/STRIKE] I would like to express my interest in studying at (University) which I think is the right choice to fulfill my dreams.

A “Plural Artist”, as we call it at (my university), is what I need to craft for myself (I don't know what you mean by the underlined words) and there’s no better way to reach this goal than living in different cultures. [STRIKE]to reach this target.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Ironically,[/STRIKE] Unfortunately, in (my country), film studies are not [STRIKE]considered as well[/STRIKE] as highly-regarded as [STRIKE]others[/STRIKE] other university [STRIKE]faculties[/STRIKE] subjects. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] That's why they're accessible only through Art Academies. I have chosen to apply for (University) [STRIKE]beacuse[/STRIKE] because of its really interesting undergraduate film courses which will [STRIKE]surely[/STRIKE] certainly enrich my future works. I aim to develop[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] an excellent knowledge of cinema story and techniques [STRIKE]is what I aim for[/STRIKE] and the outstanding ratings of [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] your university would surely lead to an improvement [strike]of[/strike] in my skills.

I’m also convinced that your programme will benefit a lot from my presence. I have worked [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] with numerous [STRIKE]softwares[/STRIKE] software programs since I was a child and have [STRIKE]a quite large[/STRIKE] an extensive knowledge of cinema language, which I’m ready to share with other students.

During the shooting of different shorts I've learned how to work in a team, giving [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my best [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] in every role: [STRIKE]I covered:[/STRIKE] directing, editing, light, and sound. [STRIKE]However[/STRIKE] Thanks to my science studies in high school, I can [STRIKE]reach good performace[/STRIKE] can perform well alone, through hard work. I also like to get involved in [STRIKE]contest[/STRIKE] competitions to test my skills and to help me understand what I need to improve. I’m looking forward to being part of this [STRIKE]awesome[/STRIKE] incredible journey called Erasmus.

I would love to spend a semester in (city) because this would give me the chance to get in touch with British culture and deepen my knowledge of art. [STRIKE]Moreover[/STRIKE] In addition, I could [STRIKE]definitely[/STRIKE] improve my English and [STRIKE]raise[/STRIKE] increase [STRIKE]the possibilities[/STRIKE] my chances of passing the TOEFL and IELTS examination when [STRIKE]I'll be[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]back[/STRIKE] I return home.

Thank you very much for your consideration. [STRIKE]my request.[/STRIKE]

Yours faithfully,
(name)

See above.

I'm not sure if "cinema story" is the right term. Is that what it's called in Italian?

Dagozar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
See above.

I'm not sure if "cinema story" is the right term. Is that what it's called in Italian?

Sorry, I meant history. To craft for myself is bad translation i made from an Italian form. It means "To become".
Thank you for your hard work!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, use "film history of "the history of cinema", and use "become".

Status
Not open for further replies.