Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 15,250
    #21

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Quote Originally Posted by zuotengdazuo View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by 'I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China'. Maybe you want to say 'I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I left China?
    Piscean could have written that but chose to write another natural phrase, since I lived in China. "Since I left China" suggests smoked chicken claws may have been on the menu for Piscean's last meal there. "Since I lived in China" leaves the timing of the repast completely uncertain -- it could have been at any time during Piscean's residence there.
    I am not a teacher.

  2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 15,469
    #22

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Quote Originally Posted by zuotengdazuo View Post
    Mr. Piscean,
    1. I check that grammar book again and find it says 'usually' not 'nothing but'. My mistake.
    That's the sort of mistake that can lead to serious misunderstanding. Please check very carefully things you tell us other have said.
    I am very surprised to hear you say 'since sb has/have done' is ok. Many native speakers told me there is some wrong with this structure and they would avoid using it because it is even more ambiguous than 'since sb did(durative verbs)'.
    Are you sure that many native speakers have told you that there is something wrong with this structure?
    3. So native speakers do use this structure 'since sb did(durative verbs)' occasionally. But I'd like to know when native speakers might use this structure to put into a message they wish to convey?
    Native speakers do not normally think consciously about the structures they use.

    I might say any of the following to talk about this situation:

    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China.
    The last time I ate smoked chicken claws was when I lived in China.
    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I left China.
    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since my girlfriend gave me some for my birthday when we worked in China.
    I was living in China the last time I ate smoked chicken claws.

    There is no obvious reason for choosing one of these ways of expressing the thought rather than any of the others.

    So I am not sure what you mean by 'I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China'. Maybe you want to say 'I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I left China?
    No. If I had wanted to say that, I would have said it.
    I am wondering if I don't make up sentences using a particular structure first, how can I put into words a message I wish to convey in English?
    Put into words the message that you wish to convey, and post your attempt here for our comments.

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2016
    • Posts: 18
    #23

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Are you sure that many native speakers have told you that there is something wrong with this structure?
    Yes. At least three native speakers told me so.

    I might say any of the following to talk about this situation:

    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China.
    The last time I ate smoked chicken claws was when I lived in China.
    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I left China.
    I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since my girlfriend gave me some for my birthday when we worked in China.
    I was living in China the last time I ate smoked chicken claws.

    There is no obvious reason for choosing one of these ways of expressing the thought rather than any of the others.
    By this you seem to say these similar versions are interchangeable. But you don't suggest so. Because you said "No. If I had wanted to say that, I would have said it." So let me guess what your thought is by "I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China."
    Please look at the following dialogue:
    A: Let's go to eat smoked chicken claws in that Chinese restaurant! You haven't eaten them for a while, have you?
    You: No, I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China. Let's go for some!

    I think by this sentence, you are not establishing a start point of "haven't eaten...". You have just conveyed the only message that you haven't eat them for a period of time. It's because as is shown in this dialogue, no one cares about the concrete time span of your not eating smoked chicken claws. Just as GoesStation said, "Since I lived in China" leaves the timing of the repast completely uncertain -- it could have been at any time during your residence there. You might mean "I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws during my residence in China". Or it can mean "I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I left China". But, who cares? I think this is the situation you are referring to.

    Another possible context is like this, although it seems unlikely:
    Enquirer: For how long haven't you eaten smoked chicken claws?
    You: I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China.


    In this dialogue, you don't give the enquirer a clear time span of how long you haven't eaten them for. Perhaps you try to be evasive because you don't want him to know how long you haven't eaten the claws for. But why do you do so? Maybe you are in no mood or you find him annoying. Or it maybe the government passed a law that orders every citizen to eat some smoked chicken claws on regular basis. And if you don't follow the law, you will be fined or put into jail. You don't want to take the risk so you are evasive. Because the enquirer might be an informant working for the government...

    Is this what you are trying to tell me? Please tell me know.

    Put into words the message that you wish to convey, and post your attempt here for our comments.
    I will if needs be. I'd be much appreciated for your comments.

    Zordon
    Last edited by zuotengdazuo; 24-Jan-2017 at 20:36. Reason: Add emoji

  4. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 15,469
    #24

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Quote Originally Posted by zuotengdazuo View Post
    So let me guess what your thought is
    Is this what you are trying to tell me?


    I think that I have said all that I have to say on this. There is a limit to the number of ways I can say similar things in different ways.
    Last edited by Piscean; 25-Jan-2017 at 03:00.

  5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2016
    • Posts: 18
    #25

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    I think that I have said all that I have to say on this. There is a limit to the number of ways I can say similar things in different ways.
    Thank you. I know you have said enough versions to express your thought by "I haven't eaten smoked chicken claws since I lived in China". I don't wish you to say more similar versions. But please let me know if my understanding in #24 is correct? I just want to make sure I understand your thought.

  6. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 15,469
    #26

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    I have said all that I have to say on this.

  7. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2016
    • Posts: 18
    #27

    Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    I have said all that I have to say on this.
    I knew that. But since you are reluctant to yes to my understanding, I think you might disagree some part of my understanding. But I have no way to know which part is wrong. So I can only assume I get your idea and all my understanding in #24 is correct. Thank you again.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •