• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I haven't been stressed out since...

Let's start with such a sentence.
    It's been feeling fresher since it rained.
    This above sentence is natural. But it's ambiguous.
    It can mean it started feeling fresher the instant the rain began. Or it can mean it started feeling fresher 10 minutes after the rain started. Or it can mean it started feeling fresher as soon as it stopped raining.
    Do you agree? If you do, then we can move on.

The sentence 'I haven't been stressed out since I worked in that factory' is natural. A native speaker told me so.
    To me this sentence is almost the same as 'She hasn't had a day of sickness since she worked at that company'. But this one is unnatural.
    To me, both these two sentences are as ambiguous as 'It's been feeling fresher since it rained.' But the former one works well while the latter doesn't.
    Would you please tell me why?

Here I provide a diagram showing the time frame of since-clause.
    This is the timeframe of 'since + simple past(durative verbs)':
    Something(A) started at time X in the past. Then it stopped at time Y. Some condition(B) has prevailed between X or Y and now. (B) may have prevailed between X and now, or between Y and now, or something in between.

PS: I already knew B4 is not possible.

Please tell me the nuances.

Thank you dear teachers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Last edited by zuotengdazuo; 23-Jan-2017 at 07:34. Reason: Bad format

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I haven't been stressed out since...

zuotengdazuo, you have been doing this topic to death over at EF, and it looks as though you are going to start again here. As you have been told countless times in the other forum, you are trying to put too much meaning into one tense-form. If we want to make our meaning clear, we generally try to make our meaning clear!

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear, Mr Piscean.
    I am really sorry for posting so many threads on this topic there. I don't intend to do it again here. I just have some remaining questions unsolved. I believe native speakers can use this structure well to convey their intended meaning, although the structure itself is ambiguous. I just want to use it as well as native speakers.

Zordon

4. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Please give us a link to the replies you received from EF so that our members don't need to repeat what you have already been told.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

6. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

7. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

You'll get more enthusiastic responses if you ask about one sentence at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuotengdazuo View Post
    It's been feeling fresher since it rained.
    This above sentence is natural.
    It isn't particularly natural. I'd be more likely to say It's been fresher since it rained.

But it's ambiguous.
    It can mean it started feeling fresher the instant the rain began. Or it can mean it started feeling fresher 10 minutes after the rain started. Or it can mean it started feeling fresher as soon as it stopped raining.
    Do you agree?
    No. The natural interpretation is that the rainfall, now over, made the air fresher. The past simple of a verb normally suggests a completed situation. It rained this morning tells us that it began to rain at some time this morning, and the rain stopped at a later time. It's been fresher since it rained therefore suggests that the freshness began after the rainfall.

If we want to say that the freshness started as the rain as the rain started, then we'd say It's been fresher since it started raining.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 23-Jan-2017 at 12:39. Reason: Fixed typo

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Do you agree?
    I don't. What do you think since means? The first would be better expressed by since it started raining. Your interpretations are wide of the mark.
    Last edited by teechar; 23-Jan-2017 at 15:37. Reason: changed "but" to "by" and italiized quoted text

9. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much, Mr. Piscean.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    You'll get more enthusiastic responses if you ask about one sentence at a time.It isn't particularly natural. I'd be more likely to say It's been fresher since it rained.
    I'd like to restrict the number to only one sentence in the OP. But I just have so many sentences to ask about unless I can figure out a rule for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    No. The natural interpretation is that the rainfall, now over, made the air fresher. The past simple of a verb normally suggests a completed situation. It rained this morning tells us that it began to rain at some time this morning, and the rain stopped at a later time. It's been fresher since it rained therefore suggests that the freshness began after the rainfall.
    Ok. I get you. Please look at my diagram. I drew this according to what Mr. GPY(one member at EF) told me. So for the structure 'since + durative verbs(in simple past)', do you think B1 is not possible while only B2 and B3 are possible?

10. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I don't. What do you think since means? The first would be better expressed by since it started raining. Your interpretations are wide of the mark.
    Thank you, Mr. Tdol. I get you. So if a sentence using the structure 'since + simple past(durative verb)' is natural, it can't be ambiguous, right?
    Last edited by teechar; 23-Jan-2017 at 15:38. Reason: same as for post #8

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last