Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Unhappy It is ultimate demands of all sides that the Astana agreement does not fail.

Hi,

My native language is Turkish. While i'm translating some Turkish phrases to English, I'm getting confused, especially when it comes to passive clause, and some negative clauses.

For example,

It is ultimate demands of all sides that the Astana agreement does not fail. ( In turkish, the phrase is not future tense, it's more like a clause which is not simple tense )

Second issue is as following:

"Both Prime minister agreed upon prevention of financial support from being provided to terrorists"

I translated that sentence from Turkish to English. My issue is that, prevention of financial support refers to a passive meaning in Turkish.

So, Can İ translate it like this too? : "Both prime minister agreed upon that the financial support be prevented from being provided to terrorists"

I hope i can make myself clear. Thank you for your time, and answers in advance.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: It is ultimate demands of all sides that the Astana agreement does not fail.

Quote Originally Posted by enunciate View Post
    It is ultimate demands of all sides that the Astana agreement does not fail. ( In turkish, the phrase is not future tense, it's more like a clause which is not simple tense )
    I don't understand what the sentence is meant to say. You could write The ultimate demand of all sides is that the Astana agreement not be allowed to fail, but "demand" really doesn't work there. Do you mean that this is the hope of all sides?

"Both Prime minister agreed upon prevention of financial support from being provided to terrorists"

So, Can İ translate it like this too? : "Both prime minister agreed upon that the financial support be prevented from being provided to terrorists"
    Neither sentence works. You could write Both Prime Ministers agreed on measures to prevent the provision of financial support to terrorists. I'm again not sure that this conveys the meaning of the original Turkish.
    I am not a teacher.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: It is ultimate demands of all sides that the Astana agreement does not fail.

Why i cant use "prevention" after "on". The emphasis is not on the measures. In fact, measures dont exist in the sentence. The emphasis on "prevention"

"Turkey determined the reachment of Balkans to the peace and stability as one of its foreign policy priorities." does it work?

Neither sentence works. You could write Both Prime Ministers agreed on measures to prevent the provision of financial support to terrorists. I'm again not sure that this conveys the meaning of the original Turkish.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Why i cant use "prevention" after "on". The emphasis is not on the measures. In fact, measures dont exist in the sentence. The emphasis on "prevention"
    Did the prime ministers agree to try to prevent anyone from providing support to terrorists?

"Turkey determined the reachment of Balkans to the peace and stability as one of its foreign policy priorities." does it work?
    I'm afraid not. Can you express the idea in different words?
    I am not a teacher.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Yes they agree to prevent. But this "prevent" is an activity to be done not directly by prime ministers. If it was, it would be weird since it means that these two men (prime ministers) literally try to prevent it. But as we know, the prevention will be done by the related offices, intelligence services, security forces .. of both countries.

"prime ministers agreed to enhance bilateral cooperation to counter terrorism, tackle terrorist financing and mitigate the threats from foreign fighters, during their official bilateral meeting held today in Ankara." does this sentence work?

secondly,

lets divide what i'm trying to mean by the second sentence.

there are "foreign policy priorities of turkey". one of them is about balkans' reachment to peace and stability. so in the phares, turkey determined it as one of its foreign policy priorities. it = balkans' reachment to peace and stability. or peace and stabillity of balkans. however, the problem is that balkans havent yet reached to peace and stability. So this reachment is the key word. is it clear now?

Remember kosovo war, and bosna civil war following the breakup of yugoslavia. so the territory(balkans) needs to reach the peace and stability. this reachment is one of the first priorities of turkey's foreign policy.
    Thank you for trying to help me really!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 24-Jan-2017 at 19:17.

6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Yes they agree to prevent. But this "prevent" is an activity to be done not directly by prime ministers. If it was, it would be weird since it means that these two men (prime ministers) literally try to prevent it. But as we know, the prevention will be done by the related offices, intelligence services, security forces .. of both countries.

"prime ministers agreed to enhance bilateral cooperation to counter terrorism, tackle terrorist financing and mitigate the threats from foreign fighters, during their official bilateral meeting held today in Ankara." does this sentence work?
    The sentence would be passable if it began with an article and a capital letter. If would be more natural like this:

During their official bilateral meeting held today in Ankara, the prime ministers agreed to enhance bilateral counter-terrorism cooperation, tackle terrorist financing, and mitigate threats from foreign fighters.

I'm still not entirely happy with it. "Terrorist financing" is open to interpretation. I think the writers meant the financing of terrorists. Is that correct?
    I am not a teacher.

7. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Sorry for late answer. The writers meant the financing of terrorists. Yes. That's correct. Thank you.

What about my second sentence? Do you think that it would be passable if I said: Turkey regards the stability and peace of balkans as one of the first priorities of its foreign policy. But, again does this contain the meaning of "balkans reaching to stability and peace"?

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The sentence would be passable if it began with an article and a capital letter. If would be more natural like this:

During their official bilateral meeting held today in Ankara, the prime ministers agreed to enhance bilateral counter-terrorism cooperation, tackle terrorist financing, and mitigate threats from foreign fighters.

I'm still not entirely happy with it. "Terrorist financing" is open to interpretation. I think the writers meant the financing of terrorists. Is that correct?

8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Sorry for late answer. The writers meant the financing of terrorists. Yes. That's correct. Thank you.

What about my second sentence? Do you think that it would be passable if I said: "Turkey regards the stability and peace of balkans as one of the first priorities of its foreign policy"? But, again does this contain the meaning of "balkans reaching to stability and peace"?
    The sentence doesn't quite work but it's close. Write Turkey regards stability and peace in the Balkans as one of the first priorities of its foreign policy. "The stability of the Balkans" is okay, but "the peace of the Balkans" doesn't work; that's why I revised the first clause.

Remember to enclose text that you're discussing in quotation marks or set it in italics. Capitalize proper nouns like the Balkans.
    I am not a teacher.

9. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Thank you for your all answers. I really appreciate. I will do your suggestions from now on.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 25-Jan-2017 at 19:30.