Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
Hello, my question has two examples and may require two distinct answers, I’m not sure.

I am an ESL Coach, and I do not have a teacher's degree. I would like to explain these two sentences to my students.

I am looking for the grammar rule that explains how, why and when to end a sentence with a helping verb as in the two examples that follow.

1: Could you tell me where the school 'is'? What is the grammar rule for saying 'where the school is' vs 'Where is the school?'

2: If I leave my house before 6:00 AM, I can get to work before my boss 'does'. Again here, we finish the sentence with a helping verb. I know it is the correct way of saying it but do not know how to explain it.

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello, my question has two examples and may require two distinct answers; I’m not sure.

Hello Dorene, and welcome to the forum. :)

I am looking for the grammar rule that explains how, why and when to end a sentence with a helping verb
as in the two examples that follow.

1: Could you tell me where the school 'is'? What is the grammar rule for saying 'where the school is' vs 'Where is the school?'
Have a look at the link below.
https://www.espressoenglish.net/direct-and-indirect-questions-in-english/

2: If I leave my house before 6:00 AM, I can get to work before my boss 'does'. Again here, we finish the sentence with a helping verb. I know it is the correct way of saying it but do not know how to explain it.
As you should know, many people omit the verb at the end of such sentences. In that case, it is implied. However, it is correct to have a verb there as the sentence is really saying,
... I can get there before my boss gets there.
or more simply,
... I can get there before my boss does.

Dorene

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
Thank you so much! This is the answer I need to understand it and to be able to explain it to my students. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thank you so much! This is the answer I needed to understand it and to be able to explain it to my students. :)
You're welcome, Dorene. Note that you didn't need to write a new post to say thanks. You could have just clicked on the Thank or Like buttons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.