A report regarding 15 July coup attempt (translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enunciate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi, I translated a Turkish text to English. I would appreciate if you correct my mistakes. Thank you!

"An explanation has been requested by our Ministry from EU officials about some press news regarding a report dated 24 August 2016, declared to have written up by a center consisting of the intelligince officers of EU member countries, containing false, partial and ignorant claims about 15 July terrorist coup attempt. An approval from EU officials has not been taken regarding its content and existence.

It is claimed in the press news that the report has been leaked.

The fact that the Fethullaist Terror Organization (FETO) is behind 15 July terrorist coup attempt has come to light with evidences. EU and EU countries have been informed in all levels about the threat that this terrorist organization poses against the national security, stability, unity and integrity of our country. We warn our counterparts on the issue that FETO is a dark global network which poses a security risk not only for Turkey, but also for the other countries in which it gets into act.

If the claim that EU intelligence services prepared such a report is correct to a limited extent, it will be the most apparent indication that EU acted malevolently.

On the other hand, it also comes to mind that the said report can be a product of perception operation that can steer EU to take negative attitude on Turkey.

Such an approach which is far from even respecting the martyrs victimized by terror, the honorable fight of Turkish people to protect our democracy against FETO's this attempt neither can be accepted nor can be just.

It is also regarded as meaningful that the said report become a current issue in a period that the efforts aimed at bringing positive agenda to Turkey-EU relations intensify."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I would appreciate it if you would correct my mistakes.

(No thanks necessary at this point.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is unclear who asked who for the explanation. Perhaps:

Our ministry asked some EU officials for an explanation of some statements regarding a report dated 24August 2016, declared to have been written up by a team of intelligence officers of EU member countries and containing false information about the 15July coup attempt.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have decided it would be better to use active voice.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not understand what "an approval has not been taken" is supposed to mean.

enunciate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It is supposed to mean that "Our ministry have not taken EU's confirmation for the existence and content of the said report" Is it clear now?

"EU officials have been asked by our Ministry for an explanation about the some press news regarding a report dated 24 August 2016........." How is this one?

Do you think the rest of translation is okey?

I do not understand what "an approval has not been taken" is supposed to mean.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is supposed to mean that "Our ministry have not taken EU's confirmation for the existence and content of the said report" Is it clear now?

"EU officials have been asked by our Ministry for an explanation about the some press news regarding a report dated 24 August 2016........." How is this one?

Do you think the rest of translation is OKAY?

You are going to have to use a different phrase. Apparently, what is meant is that the the ministry does not believe what is being said to them by the EU officials.

Is the existence of the report in question? (That seems odd.)

Please don't use the phrase "press news". Instead, use "statement" or "report".

Please note where the quoted material is in this post. (It comes first.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are going to use active voice. (The use of passive voice sometimes makes things less clear (as in this case).)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can dispute the existence of a report or you can dispute its contents, but you can't do both at the same time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A leak is information given to the press through unofficial channels.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Say:

The Fethulaist Terror Organization (FETO) was behind the 15 July coup attempt.

It was either a terrorist attack or a coup attempt. But not both.

Please note that "evidence" is a noncount noun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

The EU and the individual countries of the EU have been informed at all levels about the threat that this terrorist organization poses to the national security, stability, unity and integrity of our country.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

We warn our counterparts in the EU that FETO is a dark global network which poses a security risk not only to Turkey but also to many if not all of the countries in the EU.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand how you can prepare a report to a limited extent. You either do it or you don't.

enunciate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The phrase is "If the claim that EU intelligence services prepared such a report is correct to a limited extent"

so to a limited extent is for the claim to be correct, not for preparing a report.
I don't understand how you can prepare a report to a limited extent. You either do it or you don't.

in the text that I translated, there is exact phrase. There might be a report, but its content could be manipulated and changed in the news. (first possibility)
If there is no report, there is no problem then, but they didnt take a confirmation from EU officials whether the report exists or its content is really correct as it is presented in the news"

Also, the Turkish Foreign Ministry labels 15 July events as coup attempt and terrorist attack. At least in Turkish phrase, there are both of them.

Thank you for your correction.:up:
You can dispute the existence of a report or you can dispute its contents, but you can't do both at the same time.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things.

Please do not use the phrase "take a confirmation" as it does not exist in English.

When you quote a post you need to put your response after the quoted material.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are we talking about the terrorist attack at the Istanbul airport? (There was also a coup attempt that year, but that was a separate incident.)

enunciate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Are we talking about the terrorist attack at the Istanbul airport? (There was also a coup attempt that year, but that was a separate incident.)

I guess "the existence and content of the report hasnt been confirmed by EU officials" would be correct grammatically. Dont you think ?

Unfortunately, these are separate incidents. In the eye of government and most of people including me, the ones who attempted to stage a coup on 15 July were the members of Fethullaist Terrorist Organization. So, their approach seems logical from this point of view.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
enunciate, I have edited your last post so that the quoted material appears at the top. You had already been asked to do this by Tarheel. When you click on "Reply with Quote", make sure you start typing after the text that appears automatically on the screen.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess "the existence and content of the report hasnt been confirmed by EU officials" would be correct grammatically. Dont you think ?

Unfortunately, these are separate incidents. In the eye of government and most of people including me, the ones who attempted to stage a coup on 15 July were the members of Fethullaist Terrorist Organization. So, their approach seems logical from this point of view.

Thank you.

The answer to the first question: yes.(Except for "hasnt".)

Second, say "most people" and not "most of people".

Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.