• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

-ing word-forms as compound predicates or dependent clauses

Hi!

My first question in the forum (thanks for accepting me) relates to the -ing word-forms to be analyzed as compound predicate or dependent clauses.
    For example, would it be correct to consider this sentence (I enjoy sitting by the fireplace and reading) as having two clauses, one that is independent (I enjoy) and one that is dependent (sitting by the fireplace and reading) where 'sitting' and 'reading' are compound non-finite predicates of the dependent clause which is the object of the verb enjoy?

I am also looking for a good reference for compound, complex and simple clauses, especially as regards the analysis of -ing word-forms.

Thanks for your help,

Eric Syntactic

2. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Re: -ing word-forms as compound predicates or dependent clauses

There are two clauses: the matrix clause (the sentence as a whole) and a non-finite subordinate clause ("sitting by the fireplace and reading").

"Enjoy" is a catenative verb and "sitting by the fireplace and reading" is catenative complement of "enjoy", not object, comprising a coordination of two verb phrases:

"I enjoy [[sitting by the fireplace] and [reading]]".

The outer brackets surround the catenative complement clause while the two inner pairs surround the coordinated verb phrases.