• Start date
  • Views : 75,283
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K Rose

I have a question regarding the word "staff."
Does it take "was" or "were" in the following sentences:
All staff was/were dressed in navy blue uniforms.
The staff was/were on duty to assist with any problems.
Does the word "all" in the first sentence refer to "all of them," making staff plural?
Thanks!

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English, collective nouns like staff are used as singulars if the entire staff acts as one unit, The staff arrives at 7:00 every morning, and as a plural if you are speaking of the actions of individuals, The staff take turns cleaning the bathrooms.

I believe that this is a pecularity of American English, and other English speakers follow the British example of always treating collective nouns as plurals.

S

sheena55ro

All the staff were dressed in.... [ in fact, each member of the staff was dressed in ...]

S

sheena55ro

All the staff were dressed in.... [ in fact, each member of the staff was dressed in ...]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English, we can use the singular, but tend to use the plural. However, with 'staff', the singular sounds very strange to me.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
In British English, we can use the singular, but tend to use the plural. However, with 'staff', the singular sounds very strange to me.

It's just the opposite with me - "staff are" sounds strange, but distinctly British. Um, not that I'm calling British things strange.... :oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With some, it doesn't sound strange- the company is doing well sounds natural, but not staff is. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.