Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am preparing for my exam. Please make some suggestions for improvements. Many thanks!:-D

Sample topics:

The
Local History Newsletter is a newsletter about the history of Hong Kong. Every month, it prints short articles about special places in Hong Kong. You have been asked to write an article about an old village called Lucky Village. Write your article using the three headings provided. You can use the headings in any order. Write about 200 words.

What Lucky Village is famous for
Lucky Village is a village which is located in northeastern Hong Kong. It is home to about 200 people. They are indigenous people who have been living in Hong Kong for more than one hundred years. Because of this long history, there are a number of long-established traditions and customs which attract thousands of visitors each year. Not only can the visits of citizens enliven the old village, but also visiting the village can help people better understand Hong Kong in the old days.

Life in the Lucky Village 40 years ago

Quite different from people dwelling in downtown areas, villagers lived in flocks : with more than 50 people at a house of the same surname. Therefore, they shared a tighter bonding than people who lived in hubs. For most of the time, villagers depended on agricultural activities to make a living, they would then trade harvests among themselves. There weren’t any formal schools or institutions, children were taught by their parents on Chinese and simple calculation. Since villagers thought that the next generation should receive better academic training, many of them started to move out of Lucky village at that time.

An event that changed Lucky Village

In 1984’s summer, there was a typhoon striking Hong Kong ferociously, destroying crops and plantations at Lucky Village. Also, houses were smashed down, which led to a large number of homeless villagers at that time. The government granted allowance to Lucky Village with a view to helping villagers to get through the plight. Fortunately, it recovered quickly enough and there was no huge loss. After several discussions among the villagers, some decided to detach from the group and moved to the downtown areas for a more secure living.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I am preparing for my exam.

Now start the next sentence.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Please make some suggestions for improvements.

You may thank me now.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Lucky Village is located in northeastern Hong Kong. It is home to about 200 people.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Not only can the visits of citizens enliven the village, but also visiting the village can help people understand Hong Kong in the old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.