For native speakers.Student's research:"How to say hello and good-bye in other words"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmara

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: For native speakers.Student's research:"How to say hello and good-bye in other wo

I've done it, but it forces one choice, when I may use one form colloquially and one in anything more formal.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: For native speakers.Student's research:"How to say hello and good-bye in other wo

I've done it too, with the same reservations as Tdol. I might use one version of "Hello" to my friends, another to my colleagues, another to customers/clients. That's not necessarily the case but the survey needs to allow for it.

tmara

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Thank you for your help! I agree with your comments, actually, that in different situations we use different greetings and different styles of speech. But I came to the conclusion that it would be easier to make statistics. PS I'm not a student, but there are some reasons why I am helping to do this research. College in Russia is a branch of primary and secondary professional education, they study here electrical installations, welding, cooking. A lot of students came to college from other towns, not every student has an access to internet, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.