Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I’m extremely sorry, I didn’t know [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] that a single word (haunted) [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could change the whole story and the understanding. First of all, this is not a ghost story (please see below for further understanding of the story). It should be "hunted" instead of "haunted". Based on my knowledge, the word “nightmare” can apply [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to any[STRIKE]thing that[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]narrates to[/STRIKE] unpleasant experience. Am I right? So that’s the reason [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] I used the word “nightmare” in my sentence. After all the comments, [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] I now feel my summary (no comma here) [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] can be quite confusing for a reader.

Description:
[STRIKE]When[/STRIKE] A young man plans for a bike long trip along with Leela, a friend of his sister.

he falls in love with her actually. (When does he fall in love with her? Before the trip? During the trip?)

During the journey, they meet with a terrible accident in which he [STRIKE]injures and[/STRIKE] breaks his shoulder.

[STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] On the same day, Leela’s parents [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] ​are injured and it looks as if her father [STRIKE]doesn't seem to get alive[/STRIKE] won't survive.

[STRIKE]Thus,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] [Man's name] and Leela [STRIKE]feel something was wrong and that wasn't an accident.[/STRIKE] don't believe this is a coincidence.

They [STRIKE]come to know[/STRIKE] later find out that it was a plan to kill Leela, and [STRIKE]he[/STRIKE] [man's name] decides to save Leela and [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her family.

[STRIKE]Basically[/STRIKE] This is the basic story.

[STRIKE]Basically,[/STRIKE]I don't want to mention that they meet with an accident in the summary. [STRIKE]I guess it won't be that thrill to speak out the real incidents.[/STRIKE] I think that would spoil the surprise.

Let me know if you have any concerns. Thank you.

See my corrections above. Thanks for clarifying that you meant "hunted", not "haunted". That doesn't change my original corrections though, other than the fact that I would have changed "haunted" to "hunted" had I known that was the case.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gaya, there is no need to apologize. That's what we're here for is to help people with that kind of stuff. (What you can do is thank Ems for the great job she did.)

Now, let's talk about "actually" and "basically". Believe it or not, you can go for years without using either word. What you don't need to do is use "basically" twice in one paragraph.

That's all for now.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
See my corrections above. Thanks for clarifying that you meant "hunted", not "haunted". That doesn't change my original corrections though, other than the fact that I would have changed "haunted" to "hunted" had I known that was the case.

Thank you so much for the correction, teacher. I will correct my mistakes and rewrite another long summary. By the way, I've a question to my previous writing. What's wrong with the underlined words? I don't see any errors. Can you be more specific why those words are underlined?

A happy-go-lucky young man embarks on a road trip with the love of his life (the girl of his dreams). During the journey, they both grow closer but before they could confess their feelings to each other, life takes a terrible turn. Overnight, their lives change and things spiral out of control as they run for their life lives without a clue as to why they are being haunted. What exactly happens during their road trip? What is the cause behind of this horrible nightmare?

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Gaya, there is no need to apologize. That's what we're here for is to help people with that kind of stuff. (What you can do is thank Ems for the great job she did.)

Now, let's talk about "actually" and "basically". Believe it or not, you can go for years without using either word. What you don't need to do is use "basically" twice in one paragraph.

That's all for now.

Well, noted on the "actually" and "basically" :)

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Short summary
A young man's life is turned upside down after he embarks on a road trip with the love of his life. They have one adventure after another.

Long summary
Arjun, a young man embarks on a road trip with the love of his life, Leela, a friend of his sister. During the journey, before they could confess their feelings to each other, they meet with a terrible accident and on the same day, Leela’s parents are injured and it looks as if her father won't survive. Arjun and Leela don’t believe this is a coincidence. They later find out that it was a plan to kill Leela, and Arjun decides to save Leela and her family.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Long summary. First sentence.

Arjin, a young man, embarks on a road trip with the love of his life, Leela, a friend of his sister.

What change did I make to that sentence?

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Long summary. First sentence.

Arjin, a young man, embarks on a road trip with the love of his life, Leela, a friend of his sister.

What change did I make to that sentence?

I can see there is a coma after man.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should be comma, not coma.
;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second sentence. Say:

During the journey, before they can confess their feelings to each other, they have a terrible accident. On the same day, Leela's parents are injured, and it looks as if her father won't survive.

I need to know what kind of an accident it was and how her parents were injured.

What did I do to the second sentence, and why?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next sentences. Say:

Arjun and Leela don't believe it is a coincidence. They later find out that it was an attempt to kill Leela. Arjun decides to save Leela and her family. He decides to protect them from their would-be killers.

Last edited:

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Second sentence. Say:

During the journey, before they can confess their feelings to each other, they have a terrible accident. On the same day, Leela's parents are injured, and it looks as if her father won't survive.

I need to know what kind of an accident it was and how her parents were injured.

What did I do to the second sentence, and why?

They meet with an accident by bike and at around same day Leela’s parents are attacked in Maharashtra by the politician.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard of meeting with an accident before.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I edited my post to say:

I have never heard of meeting with an accident before.

We have accidents. We don't meet them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it's perfectly natural to say that someone met with an accident.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type