Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
This text is a part of a short story, which I am still writing. It is mostly about the war between the Serbs and Croats in the 1990s. In this part a Serb soldier ponders about the war. Would you please correct my mistakes and help me with these sentences so that they sound natural?

Some weeks later, we were involved in skirmishes with the Croatian army, which was not a proper army at that time, but rather loose groups of volunteers like ourselves. This was not an ordinary warfare, where two armies fought along clear frontlines and abided by the Geneva Convention. Our war was barbaric and cruel, fought according to the rules of hatred. One village fought against another, neighbour against another, former colleagues against each other. There was no difference between soldiers and civilians; everyone was a target, even babies who understood nothing and clung to their mothers as a bullet or a piece of shrapnel shuttered their skulls.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
shuttered - shattered

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

a short story which I am still writing

ponders - thinks about

Say:

It was not ordinary warfare....

Say:

One village fought against another, neighbor against neighbor,, former colleagues against each other.

And:

a piece of shrapnel shattered their skulls

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

It was not conventional warfare with uniformed armies representing nation states fighting each other.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bassim, what is the title going to be? Also, you haven't posted the last installment of the last one, have you? Or did I miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.