Is the following paragraph understandable/ does it make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELIAGOMEZ

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
"Greed isn't only a moral defect but an intellectual error, The size and number of things you own don't matter, what matters is that you appreciate the meaning and value of these things. You can actually see the world through little and few things, you can see the world through whatever interests you and gets you curious, through your own experiences.
Moreover, you should realize that experience is the guarantee you think in terms of reality, And you shall remember that experience is a relative and subjective thing,
If you can't see the world through who you are and where you have been, irrespective of any possible limitations found in the latter, then there is no meaning or importance to what you see through other things or other persons.
Ultimately, embracing yourself is necessary for seeking and finding out the truth, the most of what can be found out of it. "

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Greed isn't only a moral defect but an intellectual error. The size and number of things you own don't matter; what matters is that you appreciate the meaning and value of these things. You can actually see the world through little and few things, you can see the world through whatever interests you and gets you curious, through your own experiences.
Moreover, you should realize that experience is the guarantee you think in terms of reality, And you shall remember that experience is a relative and subjective thing,
If you can't see the world through who you are and where you have been, irrespective of any possible limitations found in the latter, then there is no meaning or importance to what you see through other things or other persons.

Ultimately, embracing yourself is necessary for seeking and finding out the truth, the most of what can be found out of it. "
I don't understand the highlighted text. I suggest you rewrite the entire piece in clear and simple language.

ELIAGOMEZ

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Kuwait
I don't understand the highlighted text. I suggest you rewrite the entire piece in clear and simple language.

How about the following, this is a reduced and summarized version of it:

"Greed is both a moral failure and an intellectual defect. It is not how much you own but whether you appreciate its value: you can experience the world with very few possessions, through whatever interests you. Experience is the guarantee of your own reality; it is relative and subjective. If you cannot see the world through your own experience, albeit limited, there is no significance to what you see through other things or persons. Ultimately, you must embrace yourself to discover truth."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
How about the following? This is a reduced and summarized version of it:
You didn't need to summarize it; I just asked you to write it in a clearer (and hopefully more understandable) way.

Greed is both a moral failure and an intellectual defect. It is not how much you own that's important; [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] rather, it is how much [STRIKE]whether[/STRIKE] you appreciate [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] value of things that truly matters.
That I understand.

You can experience the world with very few possessions, through whatever interests you. Experience is the guarantee of your own reality; it is relative and subjective. If you cannot see the world through your own experience, albeit limited, there is no significance to what you see through other things or persons. Ultimately, you must embrace yourself to discover truth."
That still doesn't make much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.