Thumbs down herself????

I've just read a breaking news on CNN. It's written: "Israel has a right to defend herself." Shouldnt't it be "itself" instead of "herself"?? Is it correct?

Re: herself????

Correct. Country names are feminine. Britain is she - definietly know from my studies.:)

Her? Not really. As you are speaking about Israel that has rights to defend...Israel - so, herself should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadetta
    Correct. Country names are feminine. Britain is she - definietly know from my studies.:)
    thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We are in the realm of usage and convention here, as opposed to grammar and rules. Needless to say, English has native speakers of various dialects all over the world. Each of those speakers can be speaking their standard dialect perfectly, yet sound quite different from other native speakers.

If a form is correct where it is being spoken, then it is correct.

Her/she is not a common or accepted usage/convention for describing the United States.

Well, sure - because the United States is in plural si it cannot be - she .;)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It depends on the country. Germany talks of the fatherland, so 'he' would make more sense, while France is often seen as feminine. 'It' is always right. I had never heard Israel as 'she' before.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by JMB1122
    Her/she is not a common or accepted usage/convention for describing the United States.
    Sure it is. Haven't you ever sung "God Bless America"?

Stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with the light from above.

Most countries are referred to in the feminine sense because the Latin noun for earth, or solid ground, is terra firma, which is a feminine noun. That's why it's called Mother Earth, and the ground upon it is "she" or "her."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos