• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

America First military restraint

Dear teachers,

in an article on Donald Trumps' America, I found a sentence whose meaning is quite obscure to me. Here it is ([[signalled with **):

"[...] Would Mr. Trump thenwalk away from the ongoing military missions in Afghanistan and Iraq?Would he ignore future uprisings against Arab regimes? A strategiccase can be made for a hands-off stance. ** But would U.S. publicopinion, or a restive Congress, be any more likely to sit still forAmerica First military restraint under Mr. Trump than they did for“don’t do stupid stuff “military restraint under Mr. Obama? ** Nor will Mr. Trump find it any easier than his predecessors to couplestrong U.S. engagement with Israel with disengagement from the restof the Middle East. [...]".

Could please explain or rephrase it to me? My guess is that the author is saying that the American's public would not appreciate a disengagement from military effort outside the US, as it was the case with Obama -- but does it make sense? Actually, I would suppose that Americans would better use their money at home than for military operations abroad, but perhaps I'm wrong...

Thank you in advance for your explanation,

Enrico

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Meaning of a sentence

The sentence asks whether a large segment of the American public would more readily accept a militarily restrained foreign policy justified by Trump's slogan America First than they did the one justified by President Obama's don't do stupid stuff slogan.
    I am not a teacher.

3. Junior Member
    Retired Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Thank you. What I don't understand is -- is the author implying that probabily Trump's military restarint won't be easily welcome by the US public and Congress - just as Obama's military restraint was not at his time?

Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Wink Re: Meaning of a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by LUIMATT83 View Post
    Thank you. What I don't understand is -- is the author implying that probabily Trump's military restarint won't be easily welcome by the US public and Congress - just as Obama's military restraint was not at his time?
    The author is not implying anything regarding the public's acceptance of Trump's military policy, which is why the sentence is a question. However, because the author made a positive statement in the previous sentence followed by the words, "But would" indicates the author isn't too sure.

The author implied that the public accepted Obama's military policy by stating that, "they did for 'don’t do stupid stuff' military restraint under Mr. Obama."

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg_S; 21-Feb-2017 at 17:04.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Not exactly implying, but posing the possibility.

In my post #2, I forgot to include Congress. The phrase asks whether Congress, as well as the public, will accept the policy.
    I am not a teacher.

6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The American public, in general, is weary of engaging in military adventures abroad.

Unfortunately, we are also not (again "in general") pleased with what happens when America withdraws from the world either.

It's quite a pickle.

7. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

LIUMATT83, again - just click the 'Thank' button, please, instead of making a new post.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by LUIMATT83 View Post
    Military restraint may be difficult to sell to the public and Congress even though the justification under President Trump is different from Presidents Obama's ideas.