• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

about cohesion and coherence

in the IELTS band descriptor, to get a band 9 you must use cohesion in such a way that itattracts no attention andƒ skilfully manages paragraphing. While the latter requirement is usually done by most of the candidates, i do not know how to achieve the first one. Can you explain to me what is using cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention and how to use the linking words so subtlely ? In addition, have you ever found any candidates that do not paragraph effectively and why did they make that mistake ?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 05-Feb-2017 at 10:03.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: about cohesion and coherence

Hello greencarrot, and welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by greencarrot View Post
    in the IELTS band descriptor, to get a band 9 you must use cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention and skilfully manage paragraphing.
    Are you really required to get a 9? In any case, I see the above as a necessary but not at all sufficient condition for that. To obtain a high score your writing also needs to be clear, concise, on topic (answers the question and does not stray), well thought out and expressed, and natural.

While the latter requirement is usually done achieved by most of the candidates
    I do not necessarily agree. Some students have significant problems with paragraphing.

I do not know how to achieve the first one. Can you explain to me what is using cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention and how to use the linking words so subtly?
    Take a look at the link below.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...s-no-attention

In addition, have you ever found any candidates that do not paragraph effectively, and what were the weaknesses in their paragraphing? why did they make that mistake?
    There are several potential problems that students might have with paragraphing. Here are some important points to remember.

1- Paragraphing is all about structure, and the most important rule is: one idea, one paragraph; and one paragraph, one idea. That means you should not scatter similar points across several paragraphs, and by the same token, you should not include "foreign" ideas in a paragraph.

2- A paragraph should have a clear structure and follow a logical order or progression. For instance, a typical body paragraph in an essay will have a general-to-specific flow. That means you start off with a general topic sentence (which defines/delimits the scope of the paragraph), add some supporting sentences which elaborate on that, and then give specific examples which discuss and support the point being made.

3- Finally, always separate paragraphs with a line break, do not over-inflate them with waffle, and pay attention to your spelling and punctuation.