Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Although not operating anywhere near as efficiently ......

Hello everybody!

In the first half of the year the workshop was transported to Oman, where it was joined by a highly experienced four man propeller service team who had been contracted to carry out extensive repairs to the damaged propeller of a large oil tanker. The engineers from Shipcare had previously been able to visit the tanker in port and remove those parts of the propeller which were damaged. Although not operating anywhere near as efficiently, the tanker was then able to continue trading until the new propeller tips had been made.

The way I understand the whole bolded sentence is that in spite of the fact that the ship was not operating/working as efficiently as when she (the ship) was in good repair, the tanker at that time kept (on) sailing until the new propeller tips had been made or in spite of the fact that the ship's performance was far from that when she (the ship) was in good repair, the tanker at that time kept (on) sailing until the new propeller tips had been made.

The ship and tanker refer to the same floating unit.P.S. I heard it is customary in Great britain to call all big devices / machines "she", which is why I did so in my explanatory text. Another reason I wrote "she" is to avoid repetition.Could you tell me what you think of my conclusions?

Thank you.

The source: www.rina.org.uksrct or Shiprepair & Conversion Technology; Mobile propeller service option proves popular
    Last edited by JACEK1; 05-Feb-2017 at 14:39.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Although not operating anywhere near as efficiently ......

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Could you tell me what you think of my conclusions?
    You're right, but be consistent; use either "ship" or "tanker."