Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • India

In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common, you may come across them every da

Hello all,

I think that in the first sentence, the bold section is considered as 'run-on' sentence.
    Now, I rewrite the second and third sentence to fix it.
    Could you please tell me if they are fixed correctly?

Many people are uncertain about the purpose of an adverb. As a result, grammatical mistakes get made. In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common, you may come across them every day and not even be aware that you are hearing or reading one.

Many people are uncertain about the purpose of an adverb. As a result, grammatical mistakes get made. In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common, so you may come across them every day and not even be aware that you are hearing or reading one.

Many people are uncertain about the purpose of an adverb. As a result, grammatical mistakes get made. In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common that you may come across them every day and (you may) not even be aware that you are hearing or reading one.

Thanks in advanced.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common, you may come across them ever

The original isn't a run-on sentence. Your first variation is incorrect; you could write adjective and adverb errors are common, so you may come across them, but you have to remove "so" before "common". Both possible versions of your second variation are possible but they don't improve on the original.
    I am not a teacher.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: In fact, adjective and adverb errors are so common, you may come across them ever

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The original isn't a run-on sentence. Your first variation is incorrect; you could write adjective and adverb errors are common, so you may come across them, but you have to remove "so" before "common". Both possible versions of your second variation are possible but they don't improve on the original.
    Wow!Great tips.
    English is really complicated.
    You meant 'so' in the original sentence considered as 'coordinating conjunction', but I l've learned to use FANBOYS in the way that I wrote it in the second sentence.
    Am I right?
    Last edited by nininaz; 06-Feb-2017 at 19:09.