Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
if you finish the sentence as I suggested was

-But the result is not known only with above knowledge, isn't it?
-Yes it is, if you finish the sentence as I suggested was necessary and expected because of the ellipsis.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/246738-have-happened

In the above, was is very confusing. For what does "was" stand? What is the subject of it?

Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be literally world-changing (if "world" means "that icy rock out on the edge of the solar system" :) ) to laypeople, but hardly qualifies as an important event in the world of astronomy. The minor planet Pluto is the same as it was when it was a full-fledged planet; it's just described differently to match it better with the accepted structure of the solar system.

Astronomers may well be right, but are they taking the majority along with them on this issue?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Astronomers may well be right, but are they taking the majority along with them on this issue?

I'm not sure anyone has conducted a scientific poll on the subject. Pluto was in the news recently thanks to the dramatic images from the fly-by mission, and I did notice that none of the stories on the subject referred to it as a planet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I flatly refuse to accept that poor old Pluto isn't a planet anymore. Like Barb, I grew up knowing that there are nine planets and I'm going to have a toddler temper tantrum, stamp my feet, and refuse to stop calling Pluto a planet. So there. Harumph.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've driven past the marker commemorating the suitably modest home of Clyde Tombaugh, the discoverer of the demoted planetoid, several times. There's not much to attract a visitor's attention out in the prairies of Kansas. At least Mr. Tombaugh didn't live to see the ignominious fate of his discovery.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: if you finish the sentence as I suggested was

-Yes it is, if you finish the sentence as I suggested was necessary and expected because of the ellipsis.

In the above, was is very confusing. For what does "was" stand? What is the subject of it?

I don't know how to explain that usage grammatically. It might be easier to understand if you rearrange it and break it up: I suggested (a way to finish the sentence which) was necessary and expected because of the ellipsis. If you change it (that way, then) yes, it is.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Thank you.

Would you please explain what the subject of "was" above is ?

Thank you.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

The subject of the verb is as, meaning in the way that.

But this is very confusing for me as a learner from both meaning and grammar. First of all I cannot understand "as" as a subject if it is used in that way. It seems to me it should have been "if you finish the sentence as I suggested, which was necessary and expected because of the ellipsis.

Would you please explain how "as" can be a subject there. May be by the use of a simpler example so that I can catch the similarity.

Thank you.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Yes it is, if you finish the sentence as I suggested that it was necessary and expected to do so because of the ellipsis.

That's how I as a learner understand the sentence.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It could be literally world-changing (if "world" means "that icy rock out on the edge of the solar system" :) ) to laypeople, but hardly qualifies as an important event in the world of astronomy. The minor planet Pluto is the same as it was when it was a full-fledged planet; it's just described differently to match it better with the accepted structure of the solar system.

Would you please explain this part ? What "hardly qualifies" ?

Thank you.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It can hardly be seen as an important event in the world of astronomy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you.
I suggested (past) that it was (past) necessary to finish the sentence yourself.
(I suggested that finishing the sentence yourself was necessary.) The subject is "Finishing the sentence yourself".
I suggest (present) that it is (present) necessary to finish the sentence yourself.
etc.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please explain this part ? What "hardly qualifies" ?

Remember not to put a space before punctuation that ends a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.