Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers and friends,

The following passage is from a textbook. I think there are some problems. I tried to make some corrections. I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me whether my ideas right or not.

How to Protect Yourself in the Earthquake
Many earthquakes happen every year. Some of these earthquakes are very strong. When they happen in cities, they can be very serious. Many people will be hurt or die in the earthquakes. Knowing some ways to protect yourself will help to keep you safe in the earthquake.
My corrections:
When they happen in cities, they can be very serious.When they happen in cities, the results can be very serious.
2. Knowing some ways to protect yourself will help to keep you safe in the earthquake.
Its necessary for you to learn some tips to protect yourselves in the earthquake.

If you are indoors when the earthquake happens, the safest place is under a strong table or desk. Sitting on the floor in a doorway or close to a wall is safer than standing in the middle of a room. Remember to protect your head and neck with your arms. Stay away from windows, tall furniture and pictures or anything that may fall on you. Do not try to run out of the building.
My correction:
1. ...the safest place is under a strong table or desk. ... the safest place is the room under a strong table or desk.

If you are out of doors, move to clear areas. Get away from buildings and trees. Be careful of fallen power lines.
My correction:
1. ...clear areas
open areas

The danger is not over when the strong shaking stops. There will be some shocks after most earthquakes. We call them aftershocks and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the first earthquake.
My corrections:
There will be some shocks after most earthquakes. There will be some minor shocks after most main earthquakes.
We call them aftershocks and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the first earthquake. We call them aftershocks and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the main earthquakes.

When it is safe for you to move around, check the people near you. Some may need help. You may feel afraid, but you should try to stay calm. That is the most important thing to do in the earthquake.

My question:

1. ...check the people near you. I wonder if
check can be used this way.
This passage is from a textbook called Project English, by Jim Greenlaw and Wand Dechun

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

How to Protect Yourself in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an Earthquake [or "during an earthquake" or "in the event of an earthquake"]
Every year, [STRIKE]Many[/STRIKE] several earthquakes occur in China. [STRIKE]happen every year.[/STRIKE] Some of these earthquakes are very strong. When they [STRIKE]happen[/STRIKE] strike in cities, they can be devastating. [STRIKE]very serious.[/STRIKE] Many people will [STRIKE]be hurt[/STRIKE] get injured or die. [STRIKE]in the earthquakes.[/STRIKE] Knowing some ways to protect yourself will help to keep you safe in the event of an earthquake.

My corrections:

When they happen in cities, they can be very serious.When they happen in cities, the results can be very serious. [That's okay.]
2. Knowing some ways to protect yourself will help to keep you safe in the earthquake.
Its necessary for you to learn some tips to protect yourselves in the earthquake. [No, that doesn't work.]

If you are indoors when the earthquake occurs/strikes, [STRIKE]happens,[/STRIKE] the safest place is under a strong table or desk. Sitting on the floor in a doorway or close to a wall is safer than standing in the middle of a room. Remember to protect your head and neck with your arms. Stay away from windows, tall furniture and pictures or anything that may fall on you. Do not try to run out of the building.
My correction:
1. ...the safest place is under a strong table or desk. ... the safest place is the room under a strong table or desk. [No, that's definitely wrong. It implies that there is a room under a table/desk, which doesn't make sense.]

If you are out of doors, move to clear areas. [STRIKE]Get[/STRIKE] Stay/keep away from buildings and trees. Be careful of fallen power lines.
My correction:
1. ...clear areas
open areas [Either one is okay.]

The danger is not over when the strong shaking stops. There will be some shocks after most earthquakes. We call them aftershocks, and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the first earthquake.
My corrections:
There will be some shocks after most earthquakes. There will be some minor shocks after most [STRIKE]main[/STRIKE] earthquakes. [Either one is okay.]
We call them aftershocks and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the first earthquake. We call them aftershocks and they sometimes can be more dangerous than the main earthquake. [Either one is okay.]

When it is safe for you to move around, check the people near you are okay. Some may need help. You may feel afraid, but you should try to stay calm. That is the most important thing to do in the event of an earthquake.

My question:

1. ...check the people near you. I wonder if
check can be used this way. [See above]
This passage is from a textbook called Project English, by Jim Greenlaw and Wand Dechun

Thanks very much in advance.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teechar,
When I saw your reply, I was so glad that I can
t express that in words. Thank you so much for your comprehensive corrections and explanations, which help me learn a lot. But I have one more question. I wonder whether check the people near you are okay should be check if the people near you are okay.
Thanks again.

Touchstone

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it should.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It’s necessary for you to learn some tips to protect yourselves in the earthquake.
You need to learn some tricks to protecting yourself in an earthquake.

the room under a strong table or desk.
If you are thinking about 空间in your native language, I think 'space' should be used instead of 'room'.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You need to learn some tricks to protect [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] yourself in an earthquake.
Even with the above correction, the sentence is unnatural. I wouldn't use "tricks" with such calamitous events as an earthquake.

If you are thinking about 空间in your native language, I think 'space' should be used instead of 'room'.
The OP may well be thinking of "space", but that phrasing still wouldn't be great.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone,
We can say: the best city to live in is London. We don't say: the best city to live in is in London.
I wonder if the statements above are true.
If so, the following sentence makes me feel confused:
... the safest place is under a strong table or desk.
I wonder why it's not necessary to put 'the space' or another suitable noun before 'under'.
Would you please say a few more words about that?
Thanks a lot.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone,
We can say: the best city to live in is London. We don't say: the best city to live in is in London.
I wonder if the statements above are true.
I don't know about London being the best city to live in, but the grammar in the above is correct.

If so, the following sentence makes me feel confused:
I wonder why it's not necessary to put 'the space' or another suitable noun before 'under'.
Would you please say a few more words about that?
Thanks a lot.
But isn't "place" enough?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. The box is under my desk.
2. The cat is under the table.
3. The room is under the stairs.

Would you add something before 'under'?

We don't say: the best city to live in is in London.
I think we can say 'The best residence to live in is in London.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we can say 'The best residence to live in is in London.

No, but you can use "place" instead of "residence" in that sentence.

If you made that replacement, you'd end up with The best place to live in is in London. To make that a proper sentence, I'd remove both in​s. Neither one works.

The best residence to live in is in London is just barely possible. We're discussing a number of residences, among which the best to live in is in London.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you all for your replies.

Sentence1: If you are indoors when the earthquake happens, the safest room is the bathroom.

I wonder if Sentence1 is correct, or it's necessary to put 'in' before 'the bathroom'.

What about the following sentence?

Sentence2: If you are indoors when the earthquake happens, the safest place is in the bathroom.
I wonder if 'in' is necessary when 'place' is used.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would not use 'in' in both sentences.