• Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

namely/that is

Are these sentences correct:

1) Tim is the only person who gets it about my relationship with my wife, that is, that nobody should interfere.

2) Tim is the only person who gets it about my relationship with my wife, namely, that nobody should interfere.

3) Tim is the only person who gets it about my relationship with my wife, that is, that he shouldn't interfere.

4) Tim is the only person who gets it about my relationship with my wife, namely, that he shouldn't interfere.

I suppose 'that he shouldn't interfere' is what the 'it' in 'gets it' is referring to. My problem with the sentences is that the part that is supposed to tell us what 'it' means is so far from it!

Gratefully,
    Navi.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: namely/that is

They are a long way apart but they work for me. You'll hear this kind of structure quite frequently in spoken English. The only change I would make would be to change the comma after "wife" to a semi-colon.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you very much, Emsr2d2,

Would you say that '3' and '4' mean that
    a) others do not get that they should not interfere in my relationship with my wife (the meaning I had in mind)
    or
    b) that they do not get that Tim should not interfere in my relationship with my wife

I think both meanings are possible but normally people would interpret the sentences to mean 'a'.

Gratefully,
    Navi.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

3 and 4 mean only that Tim should not interfere. You can't use "he" to mean "they" there.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.