Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello all,
I wrote this following in support of my favorite team league. Could you please check this for any mistake?I want to publish it in my Facebook account. Today this team lost the result. Are both the vocabulary and grammars chosen correctly?

"No matter what the result was, you did all your best. We, your loyal supporters, truly appreciate your valuable efforts.
Now, what matter most is that you have been premier league team and been in top of the list for weeks, so we are hoping that these results will continue for the next three months when you will definitely be the league champions. Despite of your/you losing today, we will always support you, be proud of you, and remain the biggest fan of you ever."

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello all,
I wrote the following in support of my favorite [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] league team. Could you please check this for any mistake? I want to publish it [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on my Facebook page. [STRIKE]account.[/STRIKE] Today this team lost. [STRIKE]the result.[/STRIKE] Are both the vocabulary and grammar [STRIKE]chosen[/STRIKE] correct? [STRIKE]ly?[/STRIKE]

"[STRIKE]No matter what the[/STRIKE] Regardless of today's result, [STRIKE]was,[/STRIKE] you did [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] your best. We, your loyal supporters, truly appreciate your [STRIKE]valuable[/STRIKE] great efforts.

Now, what matters most is that you have been a premier league team and been [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the top of the list for weeks, so we are hoping that [STRIKE]these results[/STRIKE] your great performance will continue for the next three months when you will definitely be the league champions. Despite [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] your [STRIKE]/you losing[/STRIKE] loss today, we will always support you, be proud of you, and remain [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] your biggest fans forever. [STRIKE]of you ever.[/STRIKE]"

See above.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'... a Premier League team.'

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
'... a Premier League team.'
"The Premier League is an English professional league for men's association football clubs...", but my league team is not in England. This term just related to England league.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is it a national league that you're referring to?

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Despite of your /you losingloss today, we will always support you, be proud of you, and remain the your biggest fans forever. of you ever."

Can I rewrite as the follow, if I want to use gerund?

Despite/ in spite of it(this team) losing today, we will always support you, be proud of you, and remain your biggest fans forever.

For example:
The employee was promoted, in spite of /despite his mistakes causing so many problems.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No, that doesn't work.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
No, that doesn't work.
How about the following?I made some changes.
In spite of it/its/(this team) losing today, we will always support it, be proud of it, and remain its biggest fans forever.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Who are you addressing with that?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It does matter! If you're addressing a team, you need to say "we will always support you", not "we will always support it."

Status
Not open for further replies.