to bustle around (in) the kitchen / (in) the house; to bustle around doing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

I think I know that "She often bustles about preparing dinner" means "She is often busy preparing dinner hurriedly".

Am I right?

My second question is which form is correct:She bustled around the kitchen getting ready for dinner guests or

She bustled around in the kitchen getting ready for dinner guests?She bustled around the house or She bustled around in the house.

What is your opinion?

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
She bustled around the kitchen getting ready for dinner guests
That doesn't work for me. In fact, it reminds me of the famous Hannibal Lecter line "I'm having an old friend for dinner!" :roll:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What doesn't work for you. Could you provide some examples using "bustle around" and explain to me when to use "bustle around in the kitchen" and "bustle around the kitchen"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What doesn't work for you?
"... getting ready for dinner guests." Say, "getting ready for dinner." As it is, it sounds like she was preparing (cooking) the guests!

Could you provide some examples using "bustle around" and explain to me when to use "bustle around in the kitchen" and "bustle around the kitchen"?

They're pretty much the same.

The busy chef bustled around in the kitchen, shouting and screaming at his staff.
Grandmother bustled in the kitchen on busy holidays and always gave us something to do.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The final question.

Does it mean that:

The busy chef bustled around in the kitchen, shouting and screaming at his Staff = The busy chef bustled in the kitchen, shouting and screaming at his Staff = The busy chef bustled around the kitchen, shouting and screaming at his Staff?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, but write "staff" with a lower-case "s."

Status