Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,143
    #1

    Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Ever since Tom had seen her he hadn't been able to sleep.

    There was guy whose girlfriend had left him and he hadn't met a girl "ever since" or "since then"?

    There was guy whose girlfriend had left him and he hadn't been able to get a girlfriend "since then" or "ever since"?

    There was guy whose girlfriend left him and he never met a girl after that.

    Please check.

  2. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 12,754
    #2

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    The first sentence is fine. The second one is at best awkward.

    For the next one try:

    There was a guy whose girlfriend left him, and he has been dateless ever since.

    Or:

    There was a guy whose girlfriend left him, and ever since then he has been without female companionship.

  3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,143
    #3

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    The first sentence is fine. The second one is at best awkward.

    For the next one try:

    There was a guy whose girlfriend left him, and he has been dateless ever since.

    Or:

    There was a guy whose girlfriend left him, and ever since then he has been without female companionship.

    "He met a girl after five years because his girlfriend had left him and he hadn't met a girl ever since then". Is it correct?

    I mean if we use past then what we have to say?
    If we are depicting a past incident like "when I was at university I fell in love with a girl. Ever since I had seen her I hadn't been able to sleep" (I know its a wrong sentence but could you please tell me the correct way of writing it?)
    Last edited by tufguy; 21-Feb-2017 at 09:02.

  4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,652
    #4

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "He met a girl after five years because his girlfriend had left him and he hadn't met a girl ever since then". Is it correct?
    It's not logical to say he met the new girl because his girlfriend had left him. Try a shorter sentence that only says the essentials.

    I mean if we use past then what we have to say?
    I believe I've mentioned before that questions require subject-verb inversion.

    If we are depicting a past incident like "when I was at university I fell in love with a girl. Ever since I had seen her I hadn't been able to sleep" (I know its a wrong sentence but could you please tell me the correct way of writing it?)

    I fell in love with a girl when I was a student. Once I'd seen her, I couldn't sleep for weeks.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,143
    #5

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    It's not logical to say he met the new girl because his girlfriend had left him. Try a shorter sentence that only says the essentials.



    I believe I've mentioned before that questions require subject-verb inversion.



    I fell in love with a girl when I was a student. Once I'd seen her, I couldn't sleep for weeks.
    Are you saying that "Ever since" should be avoided for past incidents? We say "Ever since I saw (past tense) her I haven't been (present perfect)able to sleep since then. So what we say when we have to say it in past tense? I mean I am confused about the tense in the "Ever since" part do we need to use "past perfect"? And "simple past" in the second half part? This is what I am asking.

    And I am confused about your sentence as well "There was a guy whose girlfriend left him, and he has been dateless ever since." You have written "There was a guy" in the ever since part but "Has been" in the second part which is present perfect. If there was a guy then that guy cannot "have had" (according to me) I mean its contradictory for me. Could you please explain the reason to me I am confused?

  6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,652
    #6

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Could you please explain the reason to me I am confused?
    I don't know you well enough to know why you are confused, so I'm afraid I can't explain why. I'll try to write something later to reduce your confusion though.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 8,118
    #7

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    I think he is confused because 'There was a guy' is in the simple past while 'he has been dateless' is in the present perfect, as 'was' does not agree with 'has been'.

    'Was' and 'has been' are used in two independent clauses, so they don't have to be in agreement.

    He was born in 2000, and he has been living in Italy since then.
    I am not a teacher.

  8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,143
    #8

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I don't know you well enough to know why you are confused, so I'm afraid I can't explain why. I'll try to write something later to reduce your confusion though.
    No I am also asking about the past form. Please check my sentences.

  9. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,652
    #9

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    You wrote "Could you please explain the reason to me I am confused?"

    Did you mean to write this?

    Could you please explain the reason to me? I am confused.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 23-Feb-2017 at 17:36. Reason: Change a period to a question mark. Thanks, Matthew.
    I am not a teacher.

  10. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 8,118
    #10

    Re: Ever since Tom saw her he hasn't been able to sleep.

    I would use a question mark instead of a period after 'me'.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    No I am also asking about the past form. Please check my sentences.
    Which past form, and in which sentence?
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. sleep on the mattress or sleep on the floor?
    By curiousmarcus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2017, 14:17
  2. Light sleep vs deep sleep
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2011, 19:04
  3. Help me!!! essay due tom. wanna go to sleep soon!!
    By Dede628 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2011, 21:29
  4. did not dare/dared not sleep/go to sleep
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2009, 06:30
  5. Do you say, sleep in or sleep on my bed? thanks teachers
    By Help Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2006, 18:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •