Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it." I

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it." It means that I am saying that he had book somewhere in the past before I went there to borrow it. I used "I thought" so it indicates that I am going one step back in the past from the time I went there to borrow book that time. So the correct sentence should be "I went to my friends house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it.

Please clear my doubt. Did I get it right?
    Last edited by tufguy; 17-Feb-2017 at 09:56.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Tufguy, one question per thread. Please edit post #1 so that it just leaves the first paragraph and the last line. After you get responses to this post, you can post a new thread for paragraph 2, and then the same again for paragraph 3.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Tufguy, one question per thread. Please edit post #1 so that it just leaves the first paragraph and the last line. After you get responses to this post, you can post a new thread for paragraph 2, and then the same again for paragraph 3.
    But those were not questions it is only one question please read it. Okay I have removed other two questions. Please check it.
    Last edited by tufguy; 16-Feb-2017 at 10:38.

4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Could you please reply?

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it."

You can say that. Or "... because I thought he had it." Or "... because I thought he might have had it."

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I would go to his house because I thought he might have the book. If I thought that he might have had it, I would certainly check to see whether he had got rid of it first.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I agree, and the point's taken. I wouldn't go to the house merely because I thought he had (or might have, or might have had) the book either.
    It sounded acceptable last night, but I agree that the blue usage is not standard.

Part of the problem is contextual. If you have a phone, sure, ring him. If he lives in the next street, and if you think he might have had the book, you could call around and ask where the book is now. Going to his house might be the way to check the whereabouts of the book.

8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it."

You can say that. Or "... because I thought he had it." Or "... because I thought he might have had it."

But I was told that "Might have had" is wrong here. It shouldn't be used because it means he had the book but earlier in the past. I am confused.

9. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I would go to his house because I thought he might have the book. If I thought that he might have had it, I would certainly check to see whether he had got rid of it first.
    Sorry, I don't understand.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I am confused.
    You're confused because you won't follow the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last