Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You're confused because you won't follow the thread.

I called my friend yesterday at six in the evening he didn't talk to me. He might have been busy that is why he didn't talk to me." But "I called my friend yesterday at six in the evening he didn't talk to me I thought he might be busy so I didn't force him to have a word with me." But using "I thought he might have been busy" or "I think he might be busy" would be wrong here am I correct? Can I say I think he was busy of might have been busy when I called him?
    Last edited by tufguy; 20-Feb-2017 at 07:39.

2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You're confused because you won't follow the thread.
    No I got your point you are saying "Might have had" should not be used but I have always looked it as the past of "Might". So it is a new thing for me. So this is what I have understood. "If I am saying I thought he might have had it so I am going one step back in the past from the point where I thought that" but is it correct to say "I think he might have had it?" Because now I am going one step back but from present am I correct? Have I got it correct? Could you please help?
    Last edited by tufguy; 21-Feb-2017 at 09:05.

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Is my reasoning in the first post right? That is what I have figured out could you please tell me whether I am right or wrong?
    Last edited by tufguy; 23-Feb-2017 at 04:51.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2