"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it." I

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it." I

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it." It means that I am saying that he had book somewhere in the past before I went there to borrow it. I used "I thought" so it indicates that I am going one step back in the past from the time I went there to borrow book that time. So the correct sentence should be "I went to my friends house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it.

Please clear my doubt. Did I get it right?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Tufguy, one question per thread. Please edit post #1 so that it just leaves the first paragraph and the last line. After you get responses to this post, you can post a new thread for paragraph 2, and then the same again for paragraph 3.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: "I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he might have had it

Tufguy, one question per thread. Please edit post #1 so that it just leaves the first paragraph and the last line. After you get responses to this post, you can post a new thread for paragraph 2, and then the same again for paragraph 3.

But those were not questions it is only one question please read it. Okay I have removed other two questions. Please check it.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Could you please reply?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it."

You can say that. Or "... because I thought he had it." Or "... because I thought he might have had it."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I would go to his house because I thought he might have the book. If I thought that he might have had it, I would certainly check to see whether he had got rid of it first.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I agree, and the point's taken. I wouldn't go to the house merely because I thought he had (or might have, or might have had) the book either.
It sounded acceptable last night, but I agree that the blue usage is not standard.

Part of the problem is contextual. If you have a phone, sure, ring him. If he lives in the next street, and if you think he might have had the book, you could call around and ask where the book is now. Going to his house might be the way to check the whereabouts of the book.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"I went to my friend's house to get a book because I thought he "might" or "would" have it."

You can say that. Or "... because I thought he had it." Or "... because I thought he might have had it."

But I was told that "Might have had" is wrong here. It shouldn't be used because it means he had the book but earlier in the past. I am confused.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I would go to his house because I thought he might have the book. If I thought that he might have had it, I would certainly check to see whether he had got rid of it first.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I am confused.
You're confused because you won't follow the thread.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I called my friend yesterday at six in the evening he didn't talk to me. He might have been busy that is why he didn't talk to me." But "I called my friend yesterday at six in the evening he didn't talk to me I thought he might be busy so I didn't force him to have a word with me." But using "I thought he might have been busy" or "I think he might be busy" would be wrong here am I correct? Can I say I think he was busy of might have been busy when I called him?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

No I got your point you are saying "Might have had" should not be used but I have always looked it as the past of "Might". So it is a new thing for me. So this is what I have understood. "If I am saying I thought he might have had it so I am going one step back in the past from the point where I thought that" but is it correct to say "I think he might have had it?" Because now I am going one step back but from present am I correct? Have I got it correct? Could you please help?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Is my reasoning in the first post right? That is what I have figured out could you please tell me whether I am right or wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.