Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Please help me polish the language and, espeically, the structure.

As professor Higgins once proclaimed, language is the most grandeur and majestic possession by the human, I have always passionate about language and what it stands for. Driven by this ungrounded passion, I often dream of being a freelance translator. Translation, helping human to bridge the gaps and to break the barrels, may be the best way to submerge yourself in language and to touch the variety of industries.
    It seems translation is being crush by the unstoppable technologies these days. Simple meaning exchanges are about to be replaced by robot one day, but the soul of translation-expressing the cultures and emotion beneath-will never be beaten by the algorithm.
    Being an elite freelance translator is a self-driving endeavor, which takes time and patience, as the only short cut.
    If I were a freelance translator, first I would communicate thoroughly with mu clients about the job; second, research comprehensively on it; third, rehearse.
    All in all, the key to being a professional translator is the thirst for knowledge and curiosity of change, whenever on or off the field.
    Last edited by wulala; 16-Feb-2017 at 16:09.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Please help me polish the language and, espeically, the structure.

Hi wulala. I advise you to rewrite the above in a clear, simple and direct manner. It has several mistakes as it is, and since you're in the business of translating, I think it would be a more useful exercise for you to try again with the above. Oh, and avoid quotes by fictitious movie characters if this is meant to be formal/semi-formal.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Really appreciate your advise, I will difinetly rewrite it. But since my writing skill is poor, could you please give me some tips?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by wulala View Post
    As professor Higgins once proclaimed, language is the most grandeur and majestic possession by the human, I have always passionate about language and what it stands for.
    1- I already pointed out that you should avoid quotes from movies in formal/semi-formal writing.
    2- The highlighted part is a comma splice.
    3- Try to be more specific about how the concept of language fascinates you.

Driven by this ungrounded passion, I often dream of being a freelance translator. Translation, helping human to bridge the gaps and to break the barrels, may be the best way to submerge yourself in language and to touch the variety of industries.
    4- Look up the meaning of "ungrounded" to see why it's the wrong adjective here!
    5- "Translating helps people to ..."
    6- I have no idea what "break the barrels" means; avoid idioms in formal/semi-formal writing. Perhaps you meant "break down the barriers between them."
    7- "... and may be the best way to immerse oneself in a language in order to learn it thoroughly ..."
    8- I have no idea what "touch the variety of industries" means.

It seems translation is being crushed by the unstoppable technologies these days. Simple meaning exchanges are about to be risk being replaced by robots one day, but the soul of translation-expressing the cultures and emotion beneath-will never be beaten by the algorithm.
    Being an elite freelance translator is a self-driving endeavor, which takes time and patience, as the only short cut.
    If I were a freelance translator, first I would communicate thoroughly with my clients about the job; second, I would research it comprehensively; on it; third, I would rehearse.

All in all, the key to being a professional translator is the thirst for knowledge and curiosity of about change, whenever on or off the field.
    I don't understand the highlighted text.