Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

We put on and take off deo, perfume, clothes, tie, shoes, specs, glasses, flip flops.

We "put on" or "take off" deo, perfume, clothes, glasses, spectacles, goggles, tie, brace, make up, shoes, flip flops.

But we say she was wearing perfume, clothes, make up, tie. But when I met her she had her glasses, spectacles, goggles, brace, shoes on.

In particular do we say "He wears glasses, specks or goggles"?

Please check.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: We put on and take off deo, perfume, clothes, tie, shoes, specs, glasses, flip fl

The contraction of "spectacles" is "specs", not "specks". For now, please don't contract "deodorant" to "deo".

Yes, you can say "He wears glasses/specs/goggles" if you're talking about a general habit.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: We put on and take off deo, perfume, clothes, tie, shoes, specs, glasses, flip fl

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The contraction of "spectacles" is "specs", not "specks". For now, please don't contract "deodorant" to "deo".

Yes, you can say "He wears glasses/specs/goggles" if you're talking about a general habit.
    OK, so we say that she has to wear her glasses to read or she wears glasses. But "She had her glasses on when I met her". We can't say "She was wearing specs when I met her am I correct? Or "Why are you wearing specs whos specs are these? You don't wear specs usually."
    Last edited by tufguy; 21-Feb-2017 at 09:02.

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Please ask one question at a time. Please don't write 'specks' when you have just been told that the word is 'specs'.

5. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Please ask one question at a time. Please don't write 'specks' when you have just been told that the word is 'specs'.
    I have done it.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    OK, so we say that she has to wear her glasses to read or she wears glasses but "She had her glasses on when I met her". We can't say "She was wearing specs when I met her". Am I correct? Or Can I say "Why are you wearing specs? whos Whose specs are these? You don't wear specs usually."
    We can say "She was wearing [her] specs when I met her" or "She had [her] specs on when I met her". "To have something on" and "to be wearing something" have the same meaning when talking about clothes, glasses etc.

If you met someone who was wearing glasses but you usually see that person without glasses, you might say "You don't usually wear glasses. When did you start wearing them?" or something similar. We wouldn't ask "Whose glasses are they?" It's very unlikely that the glasses would belong to anyone except the wearer.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

How do you take off deodorant? You could wash it off.

8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Tufguy, you can take off an article of clothing or jewelry but you can't take off deodorant or perfume. You can wash it off.
    I am not a teacher.

9. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Do we also say "Why are you wearing a "bandaid" or "head phones"? We "put on" or "take off" headphones does the same go with "bandaid", "bangles", "rings" and "necklaces"?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I hope you're not going to run through every single thing that you can possibly wear and ask an additional question for each one! You can wear/put on/take off all items of clothing, jewellery, makeup, wigs, watches, nail varnish, glasses, sunglasses.

You can put on/wear deodorant but you can't take it off. The same goes for perfume and body spray.

You don't "wear" a bandaid (that's a plaster in BrE). You put one on and take one off but, in between you have one on. If you see someone with a plaster on, you might say "Why have you got a plaster on? Have your hurt yourself?"

With headphones, it depends on the type. With earbud ones, you put them in and take them out. With over-the-head ones, you put them on and take them off.