[Vocabulary] What does “deadly” mean in the phrase “deadly secrets”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In this audio file, at 0:55, what does deadly mean?

1. Causing or likely to cause death
  2. Complete

The textbook says 1, but I think 2 is correct.

Source: The ILI English Series, Intermediate 1, Student's book, Page 101

P.S. Also asked here and here.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The definition there says it means 'complete'.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I found one more at http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/119935/what-does-deadly-mean-in-the-phrase-deadly-secrets

We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere.

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was in a hurry to get the answer before going to class and habitually posted my question to some forums.
If this was homework, then you broke the forum rules!
Just to clarify, please do not ask us to help with your homework. We DO NOT do homework for students.
You must submit your homework to your own teacher, not to the forum. If you still need help/clarification after you've received feedback from your teacher, then you can ask us.
Thread closed!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mori, please clarify something for us - your member profile shows that you are a teacher but Teechar got the impression you are a student asking for help with homework. Were you in a hurry to get to class in order to teach English?

(Reopened thread so Mori can post a response.)

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Mori, please clarify something for us - your member profile shows that you are a teacher but Teechar got the impression you are a student asking for help with homework.

Everything is clearly mentioned in my profile. It's just a pity that a moderator jumps to conclusions and misuses his power to close a thread!
The ILI English Series is a multi-level series designed for adult students who want to learn English at the Iran Language Institute (ILI). Unfortunately the managing board doesn't approve of using known series, like Interchange written by Jack C. Richards, mainly for cultural considerations. The books are written and compiled by a group of non-native teachers and the teaching materials badly need to be revised. As a result, I have to spend a lot of time studying things with a critical eye and edit the books before going to class, which takes most of my class preparation time.
Thank you guys for your help! :)

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
a moderator jumps to conclusions and misuses his power to close a thread!
I would use the present perfect if it refers to an individual case in the recent past.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Everything is clearly mentioned in my profile. It's just a pity that a moderator jumps to conclusions and misuses his power to close a thread!
I was actually thinking of closing that thread, and perhaps I should have done so, after posts #5 and #6 alerted us that you had asked the same thing on multiple forums. That is usually enough reason for a moderator to seriously consider closing a thread. Posting a question on several forums wastes our time.

Status
Not open for further replies.