[Essay] Please check my continuation writing and help improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We have all heard the expression: “Remember to stop and smell the roses.” But, how often do we really take time out of our busy fast-paced lives to notice the world around us? I have reflected back on one situation many times since it happened and have learned several powerful lessons from it.

I am as guilty as anyone of ignoring the world around in this manner, especially when I am driving on California’s overcrowded streets. A short time ago, however, I witnessed an event that showed me how being wrapped up in my own little world has kept me from being fully aware of the bigger world picture around me.

I was driving to a business appointment and, as usual, I was planning in my mind what I was going to say. I came to a very busy crossroads where the stoplight had just turned red. “All right,” I thought to myself, “ I can beat the next light if I race ahead of the pack.” My mind and car were in auto pilot, ready to go when suddenly my absent-minded state was broken by an unforgettable sight.

A young couple, both blind, was walking arm-in-arm across this busy crossroads with cars whizzing by in every direction. The man was holding the hand of a little boy, while the woman was holding something tightly in her hands that sling to her chest, obviously carrying a child. Each of them had a white walking stick extended, searching for clues to navigate them across the crossroads.

Initially I was moved. They were overcoming what I felt was one of the most feared handicaps---blindness. “Wouldn’t it be terrible to be blind?” I thought. Without realizing the danger they were in, they were walking right the path of oncoming cars. I was frightened for them because I didn’t know if the other drivers understood what was happening.

However, as I watched from the front line of traffic, I saw a miracle unfold before my eyes.

The task is to do a continuation writing. The requirements are as follows:

I. The word limit is between 130 and 150.
II. At least six underlined keywords or expressions must be used and highlighted as well in your continuation writing.
III.Your continuation writing is divided into two paragraphs whose first sentences have already been given.

Paragraph 1:
Every car in every direction did the same thing.___________________________

Paragraph 2:
Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. ____________

Every car in every direction did the same thing. They stopped at the same time. Everything seemed to freeze. Amazed, I looked at the car around me, and noticed that everyone’s attention was fixed on the blind couple while no one got mad and none was shouting and yelling.

Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. Trusting their white walking stick, they finally made it. As they went across the road, one thing struck me—they were still arm-in-arm. I was surprised at the emotionless expressions on their faces and judged they had no idea what was really going on around them. Yet I immediately sensed the sighs of relief of all the other drivers at that busy crossroads. So, taking a moment to see what is going on around you right now may award you something wonderful.

The above is my own version. It serves as a possible version for my students after I finish checking their work. Please check it and help polish it. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Every car in every direction did the same thing. They stopped at the same time. Everything seemed to freeze. Amazed, I looked at the cars around me, and noticed that everyone’s attention was fixed on the blind couple, while no one got mad and none was shouting [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or yelling.

Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. Trusting their white walking sticks, they finally made it. As they [STRIKE]went[/STRIKE] got across that intersection, [STRIKE]the road,[/STRIKE] one thing struck me—they were still arm-in-arm. I was surprised at the emotionless expressions on their faces and judged they had no idea what was really going on around them. Yet, I immediately sensed the sighs of relief of all the other drivers at that busy crossroads. So, taking a moment to see what is going on around you right now may award you with something wonderful.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Every car in every direction did the same thing.
It was obviously that other drivers understand the young couple was blind. They stoped cars just like me and moved by the love scene. Forgetting to complained about the traffic jam while the couple were acrossing the crossroad.

Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. At that moment, the city was full of science without cars whizzing. The situation impressed me deeply because I had awared people’s kindness to the disabled person and more importantly to stop and smell the roses will truly give you a surprise which makes you believed the life’s beauty.

The above was written by one of my students. And the following was the version after I proofread my student's work.
Please check the following and help me further improve it. Many thanks in advance.

Every car in every direction did the same thing. They all stopped at the same time. Everything seemed to freeze. Amazed, I looked at the cars around me, and it was obvious that the other drivers understood that the young couple were blind. They [STRIKE]stoped[/STRIKE] stopped their cars just like me, and they were moved by the love scene while the couple were [STRIKE]acrossing[/STRIKE] getting across the crossroad
, forgetting to complain about the traffic jam.
Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. At that moment, the [STRIKE]city[/STRIKE] world around the crossing was absolutely silent without the sound of cars whizzing. The situation impressed me deeply because I [STRIKE]had awared[/STRIKE] was aware of people’s kindness to the disabled [STRIKE]person [/STRIKE]and more importantly, I have realized that remembering to stop and smell the roses will truly give you a surprise, which makes you believe [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] in life’s beauty(the beauty of life).

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Every car in every direction did the same thing.
It was obvious [STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE] that other drivers [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] understood the young couple [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were blind. They stopped their cars just like I did [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] and were moved by the [STRIKE]love[/STRIKE] touching scene. [STRIKE]Forgetting to complained[/STRIKE] No one was bothered by the cars piling up [STRIKE]about the traffic jam[/STRIKE] while the couple were crossing the intersection. [STRIKE]crossroad.[/STRIKE]

Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching. At that moment, the normally busy and noisy intersection went totally silent; you could hear a pin drop. [STRIKE]city was full of science without cars whizzing.[/STRIKE] The situation [STRIKE]impressed[/STRIKE] moved me deeply [STRIKE]because I had[/STRIKE] as it made me aware of people’s kindness to the disabled, [STRIKE]person[/STRIKE] and more importantly it reminded to stop and smell the roses; that will truly give you a surprise [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] and make you [STRIKE]believed the[/STRIKE] appreciate life’s beauty.

The above was written by one of my students. And the following was the version after I proofread my student's work.
Please check the following and help me further improve it. Many thanks in advance.

Every car in every direction did the same thing. They all stopped at the same time. Everything seemed to freeze. Amazed, I looked at the cars around me, and it was obvious that the other drivers understood that the young couple were blind. They [STRIKE]stoped[/STRIKE] stopped their cars just like I did, [STRIKE]me,[/STRIKE] and they were moved by the [STRIKE]love[/STRIKE] scene while the couple were [STRIKE]acrossing[/STRIKE] getting across the intersection. [STRIKE]crossroad
, forgetting to complain about the traffic jam.[/STRIKE]

Never noticing something different, the couple adjusted their route as they followed the coaching.
At that moment, the [STRIKE]city[/STRIKE] world around the crossing was absolutely silent without the sound of cars. [STRIKE]whizzing.[/STRIKE] The situation impressed me deeply because I [STRIKE]had awared[/STRIKE] was aware of people’s kindness to the disabled [STRIKE]person [/STRIKE]and more importantly, I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] realized that remembering to stop and smell the roses will truly give you a surprise and make you appreciate life's beauty. [STRIKE]which makes you believe the in life’s beauty(the beauty of life).[/STRIKE]

Status
Not open for further replies.