[Grammar] "It can be stressful when your kitchen sink doesn't drain or matter is backing up..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorzak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
United States
"It can be stressful when your kitchen sink doesn't drain or matter is backing up..."

Hello, all. I'm going to isolate two of my lines from an advertisement I rewrote as a favor for a foreign-language speaker.

The first line I wrote was deemed a sentence run-on by another party. I'm insisting that it's a complete sentence:
"It can be stressful when your kitchen sink doesn't drain or matter is backing up in the garage sink from the kitchen."

The second line of contention:
"Another option is to purchase chemical drain cleaners found at many grocery and hardware stores."

This raised objection to the plurality of "cleaners". In this person's eyes, it doesn't make sense that plural "products" are being ascribed to the individual reader. My point is that I'm obviously referring to the abstract "customers" en masse and how they can buy several types of "cleaners" from "stores".

Being that I was told my grammar is "terrible" from this I thought I'd set the record straight on at least those two. Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: "It can be stressful when your kitchen sink doesn't drain or matter is backing up

Welcome to the forum, Gorzak.

Your sentences are grammatical.

Status
Not open for further replies.