Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Question Pls help me confirm this grammar rule I came across in a local grammar book

Dear Sir/Madam,
    0Please consider this grammar cloze I came across in a local assessment book for lower grade students.

The kids are going to have _______ nap soon.

My first instinct was the answer should be 'a' but when I checked the answers at the back of the page it was 'their'. I am really stumped. I would have thought both answers are acceptable? But the author of the assessment book went in to explain that since kids is a plural noun, then it follows that the answer should be 'their', the plural possessive pronoun. This is even hard for me to grasp, let alone a 7 year old child.

If this is indeed the answer, then shouldn't nap be 'naps'? Or is NAP considered an uncountable noun?

Thank you very much. Please help.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Pls help me confirm this grammar rule I came across in a local grammar book

Either answer is possible and natural. With the indefinite article, the sentence means Every one of the kids is going to have a nap. Here's a similar sentence: The kids are going to take a break now.
    I am not a teacher.