• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

The sun is probably going to shine tomorrow

It it better to use the will-future or going to-future for events that are likely but not certain to happen?
    For example:
    The sun is probably going to shine tomorrow.
    Your headaches will likely be gone tomorrow.
    My aunt will presumably celebrate her birthday party at a restaurant next week.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The sun is probably going to shine tomorrow

I guess I've never thought about it in terms of probability - we usually approach it in terms of how we're using it.

Generally we use 'will' for opinion predictions, promises, scheduled events, and spontaneous decisions. We typically use 'going to' for prior plans and decisions, and evidence based opinions.

This is far from an iron-clad rule however and you'll find different breakdowns. Some events kind of blur the line between distinctions. For example, you can use both forms to speak about the weather.

Most of the time you can use them interchangeably with no significant difference. You could consistently violate all the generalities above and only rarely will it sound unnatural. Even in those rare cases, a native speaker still wouldn't have any difficulty understanding you.

I think you could use either form in all 3 of your examples, with no real difference in meaning. You might have to tweak the word order a bit depending upon the form you choose.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The sun is probably going to shine tomorrow

Your examples are all natural as written. The first would work equally well with will. The other two work better for me as written than they would with ​going to.
    I am not a teacher.