• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: Interview script (TBC)

How about this? This is another approach. Maybe it is unreal to mention I want to work for intrinsic values so I quitted. I am also afraid that the panel will consider me as a dishonest candidate.

I quitted the job and then applied for another part-time job. This is because there are numerous applicants competing for the post. Therefore, I would like to have more time for the preparation of the post. Also, it is rather difficult to concentrate on a full-time job during the recruitment period. On the another hand, even I am outperformed by other applicants and fail the recruitment; I still have a part-time working experience during this period.
    Last edited by yslamac; 26-Feb-2017 at 15:15.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by yslamac View Post
    I quitted quit the job
    The past and past participle forms of "quit" are "quit" and "quit"! It does not change!

and then applied for another part-time job. This is because there are numerous applicants competing for the post. Therefore, I would like to have more time for the preparation of the post. Also, it is rather difficult to concentrate on a full-time job during the recruitment period. On the another hand, even I am outperformed by other applicants and fail the recruitment; I still have a part-time working experience during this period.
    That's largely unclear to me. Can't you use what I suggested to you earlier?
    If not, then tell us (clearly) why you actually quit your job. Oh, and don't use this "intrinsic motivation" stuff.

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thank you for your suggestions. Maybe it is the cultural difference that makes you feel the term "intrinsic motivation" awkward. Being a civil servant means you need to serve the people in our society, and interviewees prefer candidates that sort of things. But I will try my best to make the answer convincing. I have taken a look of the post, and I have improved the answer so it fits my situation.

I felt that I wasn't learning anything new or serving any other purposes but making money in that position. I thought it for a while, and I eventually decided it was time to move on.

4. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you for your suggestions. Maybe it is the cultural difference that makes you feel the term "intrinsic motivation" awkward. Being a civil servant means you need to serve the people heart and soul in our society, and interviewees prefer candidates with that sort of thingsbelief. ButSo, I will try my best to make the answer convincing. I have taken a look of the post, and I have improved the answer so it and fully fit my situation.

I felt that I wasn't learning anything new or serving any other purposes there was no space for developing my career but making money in that position, and money is certainly not my number one concern. So, I thought it for a while, and I eventually decided it was time to move on.
    yslamac, it's not the cultural difference that makes him feel the term "intrinsic motivation" awkward. Teechar just wants to tell us that it sounds unnatural or even makes no sense in the English language. It is his native language, so we should learn to think the way he does.
    Last edited by rodgers white; 28-Feb-2017 at 07:51.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Thank you for your suggestions. Maybe it is the cultural difference that makes you feel the term "intrinsic motivation" awkward.

No. As rodgers white has pointed out above, it's the way you use it that makes your answer nonsensical.

Being a civil servant means you need to serve the people in our society, and interviewees interviewers prefer candidates to say that sort of thing.
    I doubt it. Interviewers generally prefer candidates to be clear, direct and transparent in their answers.

But I will try my best to make the answer convincing. I have taken a look of at the post, and I have improved modified the answer so it fits my situation.
    I felt that I wasn't learning anything new or serving any other purposes but making money in that position. I thought about it for a while, and I eventually decided it was time to move on.
    If I was interviewing someone who said that, I would immediately think he/she was conceited and/or not being honest.

6. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

That is my reason. Please take a look at it. Thank you.

I quit the job because it required me to let the premises to the clients. In fact, it was quite a difficult task to me, as I am not very good at soliciting customers. Therefore, I resigned, and took a break to reconsider my career seriously. (I quit the job in Jan and applied for the post at the end of Feb, if that helps you understand my words)

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Try this:
    I left that job early last month because I realized that it was not really for me. It was all about marketing and I was expected to find tenants and let premises. I did not feel that role was right for me, so I decided to look for a more suitable career option.

8. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Thank you for the modification. I would like to add one more disadvantage/weakness when asked. However, this is related to my appearance. You may find it strange.

Another disadvantage is regarding to my appearance. Since I have just graduated, I might look a bit young. Also, some of my friends describe me as soft-spoken and gentle, which is somehow different from what people think a member under the disciplinary force should like. That is, tanned and well-built. Although my appearance does not quite match the public's impression, I will find ways to improve my physical strength and look more sporty. Maybe appearance plays an important role for this post, I think that a candidate's attitude and abilities also matter.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Definitely not! Never put yourself down. Also, this job is not about your physical looks. They (the interviewers) have no right to discuss that. I would be most surprised if they did. All you need to say about your outward appearance is, e.g.,:

I always endeavour to ensure that I am smartly and appropriately dressed. My presentation is important to me, and I take pride in that.

But as I said, do not bring that up unless asked.

10. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

I decided not to mention about my appearance. It does make sense that we should never put ourselves down. But an interviewee, especially for this post, will be asked for their disadvantages or weakness during the interview. An interviewer The panel wants to know whether the interviewee is willing to admit and understand his or her weakness. They will consider the interviewee conceited or arrogant if he or she say "no" for this part. Of course, I will not bring this up during the self-introduction in the first few mins. But I guess the panel will drill on the part related to my disadvantages. Most probably, each interviewee is better to give two disadvantages that do not contradict with the ideal candidates they are looking for. Below is my last disadvantage. Please take a look at it.

I lack working experience. This is because I just graduated and started to work. However, I try my best to accumulate working experience these days to become a mature self. I hope that I can become a part of the department and receive the training provided.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last