Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As with all languages, English was not created by a single person. Im stating the obvious here. As it is though I would like to research the history of English how it came to be and how it developed. Even Dr. Seuss, the author who wrote children's books made a small contribution to the English language. Dr. Seuss invented the word "grinch" which is now a real word in the English language and what it means is somebody who spoils or dampens the pleasure of others. A killjoy. Although English is perhaps the most developed and the most versatile language in the world which partially explains why its the most used language in the world, it does have its limitations and it does have its flaws. By researching the development of a language thats how it can be discovered how its flaws formed and although it takes a long time to fix flaws in language as languages evolve very slowly its at least good to know how the flaws formed. I do have some gripes with the English language.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Welcome Photon Guy. You are joining a large group of serious scholars (not in joining Usingenglish, but in studying the history of the languagege.) Good luck and enjoy your project.

Here is a playful but difficult question for us "scholars" here at Usingenglish. What word did the Rolling Stones contribute to the English language?

If you try hard but can't get it please admit the fact. I'll be the first. I couldn't get it. But when you hear the answer you will know for sure it's right.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
English is a kind of mongrel language that emerged from the peoples mixing on the island through successive waves of migration and invasion. Saxon, Viking, Latin and French are the major sources.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a playful but difficult question for us "scholars" here at Usingenglish. What word did the Rolling Stones contribute to the English language?
You got me, I have no idea.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Is it "groupie"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Bravo Kilroy. You nailed it!

Last edited:

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So its interesting that even in recent times there have been some changes and contributions to the English language. People such as Dr. Seuss and the Rolling Stones have had some control over the English language even if all they did was to just add a word. I wish I had significant control over the English language although I know that would not be possible. To do so not only would I have to have whatever is necessary to control the development of a language but I would also need a time machine since the history of English development goes back hundreds perhaps thousands of years. As I said, although English has gained a tremendous level of development and versatility I do have my gripes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So it's interesting that ...

I imagine everyone has a few gripes about their own language, though more so about those they're learning as a second language. No single person can possibly control the development of a language, quite rightly!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rather than seeing Dr. Seuss's part in the development of English as control, think of it as a contribution. Vast numbers of people have contributed at least one word to English. It's easier now than ever, thanks to the Web and social media.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Vast numbers of people have contributed at least one word to English. It's easier now than ever, thanks to the Web and social media.

That's a very wismatic and perpunctous point.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rather than seeing Dr. Seuss's part in the development of English as control, think of it as a contribution. Vast numbers of people have contributed at least one word to English. It's easier now than ever, thanks to the Web and social media.

Well yes you could say Dr. Seuss's invention of the word "grinch" is a contribution. There have been many contributions to the English language for better or for worse. Im interested in how some of the very basic words that are used for basic everyday definitions came to be. Words like hot, cold, fast, slow, up, down, good, bad, boy, girl, and so forth came to be.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, yes, you could say Dr. Seuss's invention of the word "grinch" is a contribution. There have been many contributions to the English language for better or for worse. I'm interested in how some of the very basic words that are used for basic everyday definitions came to be; how words like hot, cold, fast, slow, up, down, good, bad, boy, girl, and so forth came to be.

Note my corrections above. Most of our users are non-native speakers and they tend to assume that everything written by native speakers is spelt, capitalised and punctuated correctly.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The book The Story of English and the public television series for which it was written as a companion volume are excellent resources. I don't know if the TV series is available on DVD, particularly in the region where you live, but the book on its own is valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.