If I was in the place of that guy I would have come to know about my destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I did not use "would have done" in any of my posts. If you really must, you can say "I'd kill myself when I got home because, by the time I left Ann's house, I would have known what my destiny was."

In this sentence you told me that "I would have known what my destiny was" can be used am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this sentence you told me that "I would have known what my destiny was" can be used​. Am I correct?

"Would have known" is not the same as "would have done". You suggested that I had used the words "would have done". I did not.

I used "would have known" in my sentence because it's correct. Why would I give you a sentence that can't be used?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But according to Charlie would have done cannot be used. You both are native speakers now I am confused.
Are you confused about which one below is correct?

1. By the time I got home, I would know my destiny.
2. By the time I got home, I would have known my destiny.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Would have known" is not the same as "would have done". You suggested that I had used the words "would have done". I did not.

I used "would have known" in my sentence because it's correct. Why would I give you a sentence that can't be used?

Yes, you used "would have known" and I was asking about this structure "would have done". While using this structure "done" can be changed to any other verb according to your will but the basic structure is "would have done". So we can use "would hace done structure" while talking about a hypothetical situation for which we normally use simple past "if I did, I would structure".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you confused about which one below is correct?

1. By the time I got home, I would know my destiny.
2. By the time I got home, I would have known my destiny.

Second sentence, because we are imagining a situation that is not true. We use "if I did, I would structure" for these kind of sentences. So we can also use "would have +pp" for complete actions while imagining or talking about a hypothetical situation. Am I correct?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We use "if I did, I would structure" for these kind of sentences. So we can also use "would have +pp" for complete actions while imagining or talking about a hypothetical situation. Could you please reply?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Yes, you used "would have known" I used "would have done" to represent "would have + pp" structure. Please reply.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you used "would have known" I used "would have done" to represent the structure "would have + pp" [STRIKE]structure[/STRIKE]. Please reply.

See above. By including structure in text strings surrounded by quotation marks in other posts, you made that word look like part of the string you were quoting.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. By including structure in text strings surrounded by quotation marks in other posts, you made that word look like part of the string you were quoting.

Okay, but please answer my question as well please.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to you past tense should be used for hypothetical situations but EMS is saying would have done can be used.

Emsr is right. In this particular example, it means the same thing either way. I was suggesting a simpler (and therefore clearer) way to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.