Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Canada
Please help me to correct any mistakes. THANKS

Nice is a word with many meanings, and some of them are sometimes questionable. This word is used a lot of times in a positive and negative way. Actually, the meaning of this word depends on us how we use it, not the actual meaning of it that we find in a dictionary. Upon our style of use, this word can cheer someone up and also put down. Genuine meaning of this word can be killed if it is being used differently. The word “nice” is only nice when we use it to please something or someone. Why not leave this “nice” word alone as it is supposed to be? There are many words that can do the work for any unkind and cold situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say that I wouldn't use the word at all, but I think the word is way overused. Before using the word "nice" think for a second or two and try something else.

Some of your sentences are puzzling to me.

greenhouse

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Canada
Did you mean I overused "nice" in my writing? And why not pointing out the puzzling sentences to me that might help me to write it clearly and neatly. This is the purpose of my post. Thanks

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We can start with the first sentence. I don't know what it means that some of the meanings of "nice" are sometimes questionable. Also, I don't know which definitions of "nice" contradict each other.

I don't have any trouble understanding what a person means by the word, but I think its usage is often rather lame. (People are lazy.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All of the sentences are puzzling to me. I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please give us an example of a questionable use of "nice".

greenhouse

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Canada
The following conversation has the word nice. This is just an idea of how it can be used negatively.

A: Could you please help me to translate this in my native language?
B: I don't have much time to spend with it now.
A: Do you think we can get together on the weekend to work on it?
B: Well, may be.
A: Nice! You are very helpful. (It was obvious that "B" was very much reluctant to help "A"and that was the only way "A" could reacted).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that dialogue, without the benefit of hearing the tone of voice used, I would say that A hasn't really grasped B's reluctance to help, and A's reaction is absolutely genuine. He thinks it's nice that B has (sort of) agreed to help and thanks B for the offer.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The following conversation has the word nice. This is just an idea of how it can be used negatively.

A: Could you please help me to translate this in my native language?
B: I don't have much time to spend with it now.
A: Do you think we can get together on the weekend to work on it?
B: Well, maybe.
A: Nice! You are very helpful. (It was obvious that "B" was very (delete "much") reluctant to help "A", (comma and space) and that was the only way "A" could have reacted).

That's not a negative use. Can you think of another example?

greenhouse

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Canada
Yes, in this dialogue negativity can only be noticeable in the tone of the voice. Although the meaning of the sentence is positive, actually word "nice" was used to mean something else . This is what I meant to say in my post. I have noticed it several times how people use it differently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.