Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Does "had done nothing" in the following text mean "have done nothing" ?

I think it's like to say "he told me that Marry was going to marry Jim" which is almost an equal way to say "he told me that Marry is going to marry Jim".

If so, would you please tell me what we should say that the mentioned politicians had done nothing in the past to damage their countries?

Jim Cramer, a former hedge fund manager turned TV personality, claimed the political phenomenon backed by the likes of Nigel Farage and Marine Le Pen had done nothing to damage their countries despite warnings from opposition rivals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means they had done nothing to damage their countries at the time when Jim Cramer made the claim. It's possible they have done something to damage their countries since then.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It means they had done nothing to damage their countries at the time when Jim Cramer made the claim. It's possible they have done something to damage their countries since then.

Is it grammatical to substitute "Has done nothing" for "Had done nothing" in the original sentence?

If so, does it mean the same?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's a stripped-down version of the quote: Jim Cramer claimed the phenomenon had done nothing to damage their countries. You can't substitute "have" for had​ because the subject is singular.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here's a stripped-down version of the quote: Jim Cramer claimed the phenomenon had done nothing to damage their countries. You can't substitute "have" for had​ because the subject is singular.

I meant "has", Pardon, it was a typo.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We usually back-shift in indirect speech, so we say Cramer claimed it had done nothing or Cramer claims it has done nothing.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We usually back-shift in indirect speech, so we say Cramer claimed it had done nothing or Cramer claims it has done nothing.

What do you say when you want to say that the speaker said nothing was done in the past?

I think it's almost impossible to understand the meaning of these kinds of sentences without any contexts!

Status
Not open for further replies.