Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today

Hello everybody!

The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today.

By "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today", I mean to say that "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which/that applies as of today.

I would like to explain the sentence in more detail. As of today means starting from today onwards. So the general idea is that "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which, accoring to our knowledge, applies starting from today onwards.

Thank you.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello everybody!

The protocol contains the scope of work to be done that we're aware of now.

By "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today", I mean to say that "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done that applies as of today. Then say what you mean.

I would like to explain the sentence in more detail. As of today means starting from today onwards. So the general idea is that "The protocol contains the scope of work to be done that, accoring to our knowledge, applies starting from today onwards.

I don't understand. Is it the protocol that starts today? Or is it the work? Do you mean that the scope includes only the work that you know about now? Or does it include tasks that you don't know about yet?

Will the scope of work expand beyond what's in the protocol if necessary? Or are you saying you WON'T do work that's not in the protocol already?

Thank you.
    What is your question?

Just as a general comment, I found your sentences hard to understand.

In American English, we would usually say that in the places I indicated. In British English, both that and which are fine. In American English, we usually just use which to begin a dependent clause.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The protocol contains the scope of work to be done which we know as of today

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    I have never seen 'protocol' used in this way before. An example not using 'protocol':

"As of the date of this letter, the attached SOW (Statement of Work) outlines the tasks to be performed in accordance with the enclosed schedules."
    Protocol is used that way sometimes. A protocol can be an instruction or a procedure. For instance, when you observe protocol, you observe accepted and recognized practices.

In your rewrite, the statement (the protocol) outlines the work, which fits Jacek's original lines. But "As of the date of this letter" doesn't add any meaning to that.

So I think Jacek is trying to say something more about what will and won't be done. Jacek, can you explain?
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.